1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Larry Fitzgerald

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by editorhoo, Jan 11, 2009.

1. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Where does Boldin fit in the conversation? Top five-caliber (when healthy)?

2. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Johnson had not been mentioned when I typed that post. By the time I finally got to submit the post, he had been mentioned three or four times.

3. pallister

pallister Guest

Just messin' with ya. If the Steelers win tomorrow, the NFL thread will be my punishment.

4. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

That would be a fine punishment!

5. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Fuck... who is your grower?

6. Goldeaston

Goldeaston Guest

Last four seasons without Brady:

08 69 catches, 1008 yards
    06 42 for 553
    05 60 for 1005
    04 49 for 767

Moss finished 21st in the NFL this year in yards, 28th in receptions.

Without Brady , he's not in the top 20 receivers in the NFL anymore and, as I said, hasn't been since 2003 (several years). Great receivers can put up good numbers even with horseshit QBs. See: Smith, Steve; and Johnson, Calvin.

7. shotglass

shotglass Guest

The more I hear the line about quarterbacks, the more I think that some people OVER-estimate the effect a good quarterback has on whether a wide receiver can catch the football.

Look, if you're an NFL quarterback and any higher on the food chain than Caleb Hanie, you're going to be able to deliver the ball on-target often enough for people to make a determination whether your wideouts are quality or not.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

I'd put Calvin Johnson ahead of Andre Johnson and Fitzgerald by a hair, only b/c, as Pallister points out, he had a monster year with Jon Kitna, fat-ass Culpepper and Dan Orlovsky throwing the ball to him and nobody else on the worst NFL team of all-time.

If we graded C. Johnson's year on a curve, he would have had 3,800 yds and 34 TDs.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

On Randy Moss: Team sport. Team sport. Team sport. Don't you think Moss has a little something to do with Wes Welker suddenly becoming a 100-catch a season player? He is still among the league's best receivers. At the tippy top? Perhaps not, but that's not really important. He's still more than plenty good enough to help you win.
    Wide receivers without quarterbacks are pretty much guys being paid to run expensive wind sprints.

10. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I think Larry Fitzgerald is the best. I can't recall anyone being able to jump, contort, twist around, and fall backwards while still maintaining complete control of his body to make a catch. The guy is incredibly graceful and while it's cliche to say, I don't mean it in a cliched way when I say he makes catches no one else can.

Calvin Johnson is way, way, way underrated still.

The other receivers all merit recognition and argument too. Not saying I'm right and everyone else is wrong. But this is why think the way I do.

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Haven't read all of this and I'll need someone to vouch for me - I saw Fitzgerald a lot when he was at Pitt and VT was in the Big East. I said his first year there that he'd become one of the all-time greats. Not that it took a lot of smarts to make that observation. Anyone with eyes could see he was really fucking good.
    Dad was/is a sports writer, too.

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Moddy, I remember watching Fitzgerald against BC one year. He had like 11 catches at halftime, and I think that was all 11 throws to him. Only other guy I ever saw dominate BC that way was McNabb when he was at Syracuse.

Draft saved Draft deleted