1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lara Logan assaulted in Egypt

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by beanpole, Feb 15, 2011.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The paradigm didn't change all that quickly -- deriding and making fun of sexual assault victims has been rather frowned upon for several years now. If dumbfuck didn't get the message, tough shit.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

There's something here I'm confused about -- YF, a lot of the tweets you've posted make reference to "sexual harassment" and that is the discussion around it. What happened to Logan is altogether different from that as we would define it. (Also there are obviously degrees of sexual assault, etc.) Not that any of it is right, but it is clouding the picture of what was happening there. Is there a language barrier/lost in translation situation here?

3. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Daniel Pearl's family would like a word but I would agree that he didn't have the national profile of someone like Logan or Anderson Cooper when he was beheaded in front of a video camera.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I'm not sure we know the exact details of what happened to Logan. (And, I don't say that in any way to diminish what happened to her.)

And, I think what these women in Egypt are describing as sexual harassment is a lot closer to our description of sexual assault/abuse. They are describing groping and and activities that include physical contact and not just our definition of harassment.

So, I think the "tweets" I've posted relate to what happened to Logan. (Even if what did happen to Logan exceeded the everyday occurrences that women in Egypt endure.)

5. YankeeFan

@Sarahngb Sarahngb

I am so angry with people blaming women for sexual harassment. I WILL NOT BE BLAMED. NOTHING justifies it. NOTHING.

6. YankeeFan

Maybe not TMZ, but it looks like you may be right:

7. YankeeFan

To your point, some in Egypt are calling for clearer language:

@Innana75

@Sarahngb Need a word stronger than "harassment" for the public objectification and attempted humiliation of females.

@Sarahngb "sexual harassment on the streets" beings to mind wolf whistles and "nice tits/ass" shouts. You're talking about much worse.

@Sarahngb you are talking about concerted efforts by men to instill fear and loathing of being seen in public in females.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

There has been a confusing array of information put forth. I wonder if any would fit the U.S. Code:

(2) the term “sexual act” means—
    (A) contact between the penis and the vulva or the penis and the anus, and for purposes of this subparagraph contact involving the penis occurs upon penetration, however slight;
    (B) contact between the mouth and the penis, the mouth and the vulva, or the mouth and the anus;
    (C) the penetration, however slight, of the anal or genital opening of another by a hand or finger or by any object, with an intent to abuse, humiliate, harass, degrade, or arouse or gratify the sexual desire of any person; or
    (D) the intentional touching, not through the clothing, of the genitalia of another person who has not attained the age of 16 years with an intent to abuse, humiliate, harass, degrade, or arouse or gratify the sexual desire of any person;
    (3) the term “sexual contact” means the intentional touching, either directly or through the clothing, of the genitalia, anus, groin, breast, inner thigh, or buttocks of any person with an intent to abuse, humiliate, harass, degrade, or arouse or gratify the sexual desire of any person;

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Apropos of nothing in particular, I will say that my ex-wife had a couple of friends who married guys from Middle Eastern countries (it's a long bizarro-world story) and they routinely, like every minute of every day, engaged in activity which would result in American men getting anything from a slap in the chops to being dragged off by the heels by cops on 3rd degree CSC charges.

10. YankeeFan

I don't want to criticize Lara Logan, but does anyone else see it as somewhat exploitive that sweeps starts today and Logan is going to speak about what happened on 60 Minutes on Sunday?

11. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Who should she talk to, Good Morning America?

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Seems a tad tone deaf given its sweeps week. We kept hearing how she needed how privacy to recover and now she shows up on sweeps week to tell her story.

Draft saved Draft deleted