1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Laptop or desktop?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by HeinekenMan, Dec 13, 2006.

1. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

I'm just curious about what you prefer to use. I've only had a laptop for a short time. Tonight, I hooked up a wireless ethernet router. Now I find that I prefer to sit at the kitchen table with the laptop. I guess there's just more space, which allows me to spread my forearms out a bit, rather than having the edge of the desk cutting into my wrists.

I am actually wondering why anybody would need both. The desktop now seems like a large paperweight that pretty much just serves as my means of printing files and burning CDs.

The problem, though, is that I can't seem to shut the damned thing off and hit the hay. Now I feel that I need some sort of brace that rests on my shoulders so that I can carry the laptop everywhere I go.

Also, if anyone cares to share. My wife wants a PC with Windows. I know they make Windows for the Mac now, but I'm a little leery of installing it given all of the virus issues out there today. Any suggestions? Turning the desktop over to her would save me having to buy her a new laptop.

2. Eagleboy

Eagleboy Guest

I agree with you - I'm on my second laptop (first crapped out on me) but I feel like I need to carry it everywhere. I get so much less work done during the day because I'm always on this thing jerking around, doing one thing or another.

Given how popular (and cheap) laptops are today, it makes me wonder why desktops still exist anymore. I agree - they seem to be little more than paperweights that serve little to no function outside of what a laptop can do. They're more versatile and the wireless Internet is a blessing in disguise. I'll often just lay on my bed with this thing so I can watch TV and screw around at the same time.

3. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

That, boys and girls, is what is known as a hanging breaking ball.

4. Double J

Double J Active Member

On the subject of laptops, I'm thinking about finally springing for one and I'd like some input as to what is now standard in terms of RAM, hard drive size, processor speed, etc. Can anyone help?

5. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

Best thing I ever did was get a laptop WITH wireless.

Starbucks [sorry boom] and any place with free WiFi - Thank you, God.

:)

6. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Just got a laptop in August ... don't know why I waited so long these days.

7. KP

KP Active Member

Desktop can't be used as a source of heat.

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I might whiff looking at strike 3 to end the NLCS like $120 million man Carlos Beltran (hi, Mets fans!) .. but all I envision is Costanza performing fellatio, eating a Wolf's Deli-esque sandwich, and watching TV at the same time.

9. ARD

ARD Member

Laptops are more expensive than comparable desktops, contain many proprietary parts and are much more difficult to upgrade. Installing the latest and greatest video card is a snap with a desktop, often impossible with a laptop. I prefer a laptop, but there are definite tradeoffs, so I have both. ;D

10. KP

KP Active Member

I find the pastrami to be the most sensual of all the salted cured meats.

11. Crimson Tide

Crimson Tide Member

I got a laptop for this job, and it's great. The company laptops were 10 years old and didn't work. The one half-decent laptop was too difficult to get for tournament time. The great thing is that no one can take it away from me. No sharing, no borrowing. I've even had people ask to borrow it for assignments and I told them to fuck off.

My co-worker got tired of experiencing the same thing and bought a Dell. It's just easier to supply yourself and not let the fuckups you work with ruin anything.

12. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

Well, I prefer Macs, but the prices are generally steep. Fortunately, I found one on eBay. It was being sold by a guy who had shut down his Internet-related business. I did a search by proximity to me, and it turns out that I only had to drive 20 miles to pick it up in person from the guy's house. I highly recommend that. You're able to get a feel for whether the person is leveling with you about the state of the computer.

It was one of two Macs that the company had purchased so that it could design software for the format. He sold it to me for $400-$500. I had to buy a power adapter from the Apple Store for about $75 more.

I haven't had a single problem. It can't be more than two years old, and it works like a new one. He said that it had been used very little. I absolutely love the thing, and I'm now willing to buy about anything through eBay.

Draft saved Draft deleted