1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Laptop battery

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by novelist_wannabe, Aug 5, 2011.

1. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

OK, with the rumor mill spouting that Starbucks is about to cover up all their power outlets, I'm thinking I need a new laptop battery. Every time I turn it on, I get a screen that says, "you should consider replacing your battery".

Anybody have any experience with this?

2. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

I've replaced a bunch of laptop batteries in my short time without a personal, everyday desktop. My best advice to you is to figure out what kind of battery your laptop needs and go to Ebay. You can get brand new batteries there for at least half what you would pay elsewhere online and at least a third less than you'd pay in a place like Best Buy.

3. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

How/where you acquire your replacement is up to you. I have not always been thrilled about my dealings with e-bay but you can probably get a good price there.

Changing the battery out in a laptop is a piece of cake. The ONLY thing you absolutely MUST DO is to be sure the laptop is fully off - - not in sleep mode or anything like that - - BEFORE you remove the old battery.

The entire process should not take you more than 2 minutes...

4. novelist_wannabe

I can't imagine it will take more than 30 seconds.

5. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

A quick resolution? Stop going to Starbucks.

6. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

I was adding in time to shut down the computer and then intiate the restart. Agree, the actual change-out should not be more than 30 seconds...

7. novelist_wannabe

Well, there are times when I have to use public network wifi, and right now that means plugging in. So I need a new battery.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Batteries Plus FTW.

Unless you're using Apple, in which case you'll have to just suck it up and bang out a benjamin.

9. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

Probably a dumb question, but how do I know what kind of laptop I have? It clearly says on it that it is an HP Pavilion. But nothing beyond that. At the Batteries Plus website, there are over 80 types of Pavilions listed!

I am very computer illiterate, so be kind in your directions :)

10. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

I think I figured it out. But it doesn't matter. A new battery is $130.00.

Draft saved Draft deleted