1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Laptop advice

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Giggity, Nov 15, 2010.

1. Giggity

Giggity Member

I know there are a bunch of threads out there, but I can't seem to find help on what I specifically need anywhere.

My laptop's about had it. I'm looking to buy one that I would primarily use to hook up to my HDTV and watch TV/movies on. (Other stuff too, but that seems to be the thing that would require the most oomph).

So, does anybody know how much power I need? Am I looking for a big processor, lots of memory, a certain kind of graphics card ...? I'm kinda dumb about this stuff, so I can't even make sense of what I've found via google. I get the sense a graphics card is something that exists, but that's about as far as I've gotten. I've also been trying to figure out processors, and something called the i7 seems to be pretty much the shit. But would that be overdoing it? Underdoing it? Justrightdoing it?

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/
    Will compare processors and video card against value...
    Personally, I've always been a big fan of loading up on as much memory and processor speed as you can afford, keeping in mind that what may be the standard now is mid-range in six months and obsolete in a year.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Go buy a MacBook Pro.

Enjoy.

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

This just isn't true for what he's talking about doing. Your computer isn't going to suddenly get worse at playing DVDs/Blu Rays/streaming movies.

6. Giggity

Giggity Member

So, what should I be looking for then, assuming I'm not going with a Mac?

7. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Pick a skinny girl.

The ones with the big boobs will crush your pelvis.

8. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

No, but that might be a lot of stress to put on a laptop if you're heavily into playing media. If you want to save wear and tear on a laptop, get a DVD, Blu Ray, streaming media device for your entertainment purposes. It shouldn't be too expensive.

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Why don't you want a Mac? Just curious. I know they might seem really different, but you adjust quickly. You'll never want to go back. Trust me.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Does anyone here have one of the small netbooks? Do you like them?

11. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Read an article recently that said these were starting to become obsolete, or at least less popular. I forget some of the other reasons.

I think it was a Yahoo article about top tech things not to buy in the next year. Another thing on that list was GPS units, mainly because almost every smart phone has or will have that capability.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

No, but you have to think ahead...

Draft saved Draft deleted