1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Landmark goes up for sale

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by franticscribe, Jan 2, 2008.

1. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Wait. UK has football? :D
    Next you'll tell me that the basketball team sucks this year. ;D

2. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

You're funny.

:D

3. PDT635

PDT635 New Member

I'm at one of the larger Landmark papers, and I don't really see a need to panic. I mean, these things take months and months and months to happen and play out. Plus, who said this was a bad thing? Is it so far fetched that it may be a good thing?

4. True. I just want my vacation time, baby!

5. PDT635

PDT635 New Member

I mean, I'm not trying to be naive, but why panic prematurely? That's all I'm saying.

6. KYSportsWriter

Because I don't want to be a Gannett paper?

7. KYSportsWriter

Just got back from a newsroom meeting on this.

Our publisher said the Weather Channel and weather.com would be sold separately, as well the metros and smaller papers. They don't know yet if the papers will be split up or not, but that's the most likely scenario.

Some potential suitors are: NBC, Yahoo, Google and Newscorp. Those were the only ones given to us by our pub.

He said the list would be narrowed down to 2 or 3 companies by the end of March, and that a decision could come anytime during the year. That's pretty much all I have right now.

8. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

No disrespect, KY, but I bet your publisher knows jack in the whole scheme of things.

Still stunned by this. Know someone at the V-P and hope she lands on solid footing, no matter what happens.

9. John Newsom

John Newsom Member

The word from our publisher here is that LCNI (the small papers) will be sold as a block. Beyond that, anything could happen.

Or it might not. Getting past the sizzle of The Weather Channel -- if the NYT story is to be believed lots of someones want that little slice of beachfront cable TV property -- Landmark might not find a buyer or get the price it wants for the rest of it, either as one big package or as smaller pieces.

I can't believe I'm about to type this, but only time will tell.

P.S. In case you're wondering, we still have the authority to fill both of the Sports jobs (and any other N&R jobs we've posted) we have open. Please keep those resumes coming.

Draft saved Draft deleted