1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Landmark follows Gannett's lead: Furloughs

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by franticscribe, Jan 26, 2009.

1. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

But will you take it quarter after quarter?

2. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

If you mean they'll cut two percent from my previous year's salary every year, then no, I'd give up on that after a while. On the other hand, I would have taken that two percent with a song in my heart and a spring in my step two months ago.

3. Being a former Landmark employee myself, I am not surprised at all by this. I once was told by one of my former higher-ups, "Can't you cover these games over the phone?"

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Even this isn't apparently enough. Just got this from the IJAG Pipeline (I gotta come up with another name for it):

The Capital-Gazette Communications -- which includes the Annapolis Capital and a twice-weekly, the Maryland Gazette -- cut 29 positions today; 27 full-time and two part-time. In all, 25 people lost their jobs, including nine from editorial. That's 28 percent of the staff. No one in the sports department, which includes six full-time positions, was cut. We lost some good, good people today.

5. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

A former co-worker and classmate was one of those shanked in Annapolis. What crap.

6. GlenQuagmire

GlenQuagmire Active Member

What else do the suits do all day?

At the 10 a.m. Meeting

CEO: "Well, we need to increase our profit margin. What can we do?"

Random suit: "I know. Let's lay people off/enforce furloughs/eliminate all travel."

CEO: "Sounds good. That's a good long-term solution. What a relief. Let's call it a day and hit the golf course."

7. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

That would be 7.6 percent in that first year, not 1.9.

But, yes, I would still make that choice.

8. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Except it's not in a year. It's through June.

Care to do your math again?

9. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

OK.

10. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

But if it's only through June, and there's no other furloughs/forced unpaid leave/whatever instituted the rest of the year, then the 1.9 percent number stands. Of course, we likely should assume that come June, they'll force people to take five days off between July and December. But maybe they won't! OK, they will.

11. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

It amazes me that a company like Landmark, which IIRC had little debt compared to some of the others, a company which raked in $3 billion by selling The Weather Channel, couldn't have spared a few jobs in Annapolis. Or Roanoke. Or Norfolk. Or wherever else this is gonna happen.

12. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

Another key difference between the Landmark and Gannett furloughs: Landmark is scheduling the dates for its employees. Anyone want to guess how thin the paper will be on Feb. 17?

Draft saved Draft deleted