1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Landis: Who out there really cares, and how much?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by toomanycookies, Jul 27, 2006.

1. leo1

leo1 Active Member

your post sounded intelligent until the bold part. he failed the drug test. not sure if they tested only the winner (which would make sense) or everyone or random people (which would make more sense) but if he failed i don't see how this is bias. are you suggesting that they only tested the american? that would be tough to believe -- unless somehow only the winner gets tested and the winner happened to be american.

2. EE94

EE94 Guest

Big story, and mostly because the connection to Armstrong will be made.
    It's like the Bonds story. He hasn't tested positive, but it's him baseball and most everyone else want exposed.
    Landis hardly the household name before Tour, but because he's the winner and an American to boot, it will give life and credence - however wrongfully - to the Armstrong doping charges.

The Armstrong connection will become the bigger angle

3. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Let's say you don't like ... uh ... hurling. (Not puking, the Scottish sport.)

And say you have a major doping scandal that could floor the sport forever.

THAT would be worth mention.

Now, you're talking about a sport that, whether you care for it or not, has caught the imagination of a lot of people, if only for the Tour de France.

Yeah, this is a big story.

4. EE94

EE94 Guest

Hurling is of Irish origin.

5. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

It is a big story, no matter what journalists think. I'd hate to believe that just because YOU don't think it is an important story doesn't mean it doesn't get the necessary attention. I'm not a cycling fan either, but it sure as hell is a front page story. It's the winner of a race that for seven years before this one made front page headlines everywhere because of Armstrong. Landis' victory made the front page of most every paper here when he won just this past weekend. It sure as hell deserves front page play now.

And where were the journalists who might have thought his Stage 17 victory might have been too good to be true after such a setback the day before. That was the turning point of the race for Landis and I guess everyone, much like those who got caught up in the McGwire and Sosa HR chase, couldn't have thought, "hmm, wonder if Landis did something to help him out?" I guess we all want to believe he was clean, but then again, this Tour de France had doping issues right before the start of the race.

6. Ben Bernanke

Ben Bernanke Guest

It's a big story. But maybe he thought dating Sheryl Crow was a requirement of the Tour winner and that's why he thought he needed the extra testosterone.

7. Joe Bloggs

Joe Bloggs Member

The only time I cared about cycling was when I watched "Breaking Away" ... and those Cutters weren't doping!

Maybe Landis just needed someone from his Phonak team to jam a pipe in Pereiro's spokes when no one was looking and trip him down the side of the mountain!!

8. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

"Breaking Away" is a great movie. So are fans who watched the Tour de France demanding a "refund! refund? refund!?"

9. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

We've been fighting this all day today, and I've been on both sides of the fence and STILL not sure what I'm thinking.

It's a big story to "sports professionals," whatever the hell that means. It's a big global story.

But I absolutely guarantee you that when I go to the United States-based sports pub after work tonight, not a single person will be talking about Floyd Landis.

I'm still not sure we've done the right or wrong thing all day.

10. As far him doping after the collapse and before Stage 17, there isn't much you can put in your body to have an impact in that short of time. It's a long process that takes months in leading up to a big race. But yeah, he certainly could have done something before. But you figure they would have caught it before this race. Or, one of the people helping him could have screwed up the doping schedule to allow detection. Really hope it isn't true, or explainable by some other medical reasoning.

As far as the bias comment, it was sort of a different topic than the doping, which wasn't conveyed very well by me. Just in general, it seems a lot of the media, in France especially, aren't fond of American riders.

In terms of coverage, our paper will probably blow this out for a long time. And we're not in Pennsylvania.

11. It has to be an A1 story for the obvious weight of 7 years of Lance, the new American taking over at a time just before major hip surgery.
    We've gone waaaayyy past the point where only the stuff we covered 10 years ago merits the cover today.
    The world is still shrinking, folks, and we should still behave in a manner that suggests we're a part of it.

12. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

That's a nice global viewpoint -- but 90 percent of our U.S. newspaper readers, and Internet users, don't give a shit about cycling.

I'm not even saying you're not right about 1A/sports front play. But it's not quite as simple as "it's a small world." To our core sports fans, who's going to be the starting free safety when training camp starts is still more important than the Tour de France.

Draft saved Draft deleted