1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Landis: Who out there really cares, and how much?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by toomanycookies, Jul 27, 2006.

1. Just wondering, with the news that Floyd Landis may have failed a doping test, who cares about this? As someone who covers cycling and these doping matters on a regular basis in a big cycling town, it seems huge to me. But I could care less what Tony Stewart said about whichever driver it is this week, when I know there are a ton of people who are really interested in that.

For those who haven't seen it yet, Landis tested positive for high levels of testosterone and his team supspended him. But they still have to wait for his "B" or second sample to be tested to make sure there were no abnormalities with the first sample. He also hasn't shown up at two races this week, with no real explanation.

Also, it seems to me, there is a European bias against American cyclists. They don't appreciate us winning their race every year.

2. shockey

shockey Active Member

actually, you COULDN'T care less. just a pet peeve,

anyway, for those who care about cycling, this is huge. to the rest of us, ho-hum. 8) 8)

3. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Hmmm...I dunno...I think fringe fans paid a little attention because of the whole American/Lance heir/hip thing.

I think it's a story for an average fan today, and then however it gets settled.

4. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

agree with SF -- it's big if he did test positive for dope. After all the glowing stories written, praising his super heroic effort. If he was dirty, where does the story go?

5. shockey

shockey Active Member

oh, i agree. if he doped, it's worth page 1 of the paper. that doesn't mean i give a shit, if that makes sense. ??? ??? ???

6. Who's Floyd Landis?  ;D

7. DyePack

DyePack New Member

I know I don't care, and I don't care a great deal.

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I think it's a 1A story.

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Dick Pound cares...

Sorry, just wanted to type "Dick Pound".

10. some how Lance's name will be brought into this. The French might have finally won one. Hopefully the final tests don't prove anything too series. Maybe he just used "arthritis cream" for his hip.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Dick Pound must be doing some serious Dick Pounding. :D

12. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

this will be above the fold news for at least 90 percent of the sports section front pages out there.

then it'll go back to the inside until he's either cleared or damned.

Draft saved Draft deleted