1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Landis loses appeal

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Oggiedoggie, Sep 20, 2007.

1. Agreed on all points, Idaho.

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

To be honest, Idaho, I think you're the cleanest American cyclist. I'll look forward to seeing you tackling the uphill climb to Pau in the Pyrenees next summer.

3. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

So is this the bottom of the pit here? Is there any way this can get any worse? I don't see how it can what with Landis having to give his title back, but you'd know better than I.

4. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

I'm glad this cheat got what he had coming to him. Now only if sports can catch the rest that have the ire of public opinion on them.

5. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Ha! I'm a known sufferer of a cycling disease I discovered and named -- CCFSS. Can't Climb for Sh!t Syndrome.

I have faith in guys like Dave Z, Levi (who I am scheduled to ride with, interview and undergo some testing with next week and will be sure to ask him about the Landis stuff and his status as a free agent) and most of the domestic pros. I think the culture was so corrupt for a decade or so that if you weren't taking EPO or blood doping you weren't able to be competitive. And with poor rules and testing, it became 'acceptable' for many athletes.

And, after the levels of performance got so high, even when the doping tests got better and the athletes began to realize this wasn't the same as taking vitamins or drinking a whey protein shake, there were some desperate cyclists and doctors who found ways to circumvent the rules.

Can it get worse? Of course it can. Another year of yellow jerseys getting ripped off the back of cyclists just a few days away from glory will scare away more sponsors and more corporate support of races. But, I hope, cyclists are beginning to see the folly of their ways now that salaries are shrinking, teams are folding and races are dying.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I didn't realize Floyd Landis had any appeal.

7. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

In Canada, former cycler Jeanson admits to doping. This story was on the National last night (CBC's newscast), but here is the story:

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/story/2007/09/20/jeanson-doping.html

8. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Can we now officially ignore the Tour de France?

9. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I'd like to know what RokSki and rokski2 think of this.

10. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

They are probably will be debating this most of the day.

11. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

The one thing I don't understand here is this: In order for the drug to work the way it's supposed to work, he had to be taking it long before that final stage. It's not something you just take and it gives you miraculous strength, like Popeye eating a can of spinach. Taking it the way he supposedly took it, like one doctor said, would be like taking a cholesterol reducing drug while you're having a heart attack. He passed drug tests earlier in the tour. If he was taking the drug and was smart enough to avoid a posistive test earlier, why didn't he take whatever steps he needed to take to avoid a positive test on the last test?
    It still doesn't seem right to me.

12. Flash

Flash Guest

Why do you hate the board, Doc?

Draft saved Draft deleted