1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

lamest HR you've ever seen? (difficulty: no shot heard round the world)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by king cranium maximus IV, Jul 18, 2007.

1. Mmac

Mmac Guest

What may've been the last homer Pete Rose ever hit (Buck might know if this is correct) may also have been the weakest ball ever to make it over a major league fence. It was at Wrigley around 83 or 84, wind blowing out, looked like a cheap infield fly off the top of his bat until it caught a mighty gust and just barely squeezed over by an inch. I was a kid watching on WGN and still remember it b/c of everyone's astonished reaction that it went out.

2. boots

boots New Member

Carter hit the shit out of that weak assed pitch by dead-armed Mitch Williams. Williams had no business being out there but Fregosi didn't have anyone else worth a shit in the pen.

3. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

The "Off Canseco's cranium" homer.

Still one of the funniest things I've ever seen. The camera angle they had on that was so perfect that it might have been fixed.

4. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

Donnie Sadler's first career homer, for Boston at Detroit. Because it cost me a round of beer and gave him his nickname. Donnie Fucking Sadler. Dang it all.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

No offense, crusoes, but Donnie fucking Sadler?
    Who the fuck is Donnie fucking Sadler?

6. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

That wasn't Hammonds in right field for Baltimore. It was Tony Tarasco, aka Tony Tabasco to one of my friends at the time.

7. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Isn't he a poor man's Lou Merloni?

8. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Lou Merloni is a poor man's Lou Merloni.

9. McGwire's was my first thought and remains so for all the reasons stated. Line drive down the third base line, barely cleared the wall. I remember thinking, that's it?

10. Leo Mazzone

Leo Mazzone Member

McGwire's was lame. At least Jeter's caused some controversy. Oh wait...

11. KP

KP Active Member

Bucky Bleepin' Dent some game in Oct. 1978

12. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

This may not even qualify, but here goes nothing -- or something.

Robin Ventura's 15th-inning home run/single in Game 5 of the 1999 NLCS against the Braves to give the Mets the 4-3 win.

Ventura's ball cleared the right-center fence, but he never reached second base due to a frenzy. Instead of a grand slam, he got credit for a two-run single.

Draft saved Draft deleted