1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lakers print reporter claims ESPN anchor stole story

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by dcdream, Dec 29, 2010.

1. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

Man, his "apology" was crap. He knew damn well what he was doing, I'd just like to know why he did it. Laziness? Didn't think people would catch it? Certainly not worth jeopardizing your career over.

2. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Judith Griggs thinks you're all stupid

3. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Man, his "apology" was crap. He knew damn well what he was doing, I'd just like to know why he did it. Laziness? Didn't think people would catch it? Certainly not worth jeopardizing your career over.

4. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

If he really was so in love with the set-up to his li'l highlights, why didn't he throw in a "As Kevin Ding of the Orange County Register wrote, ..." blah blah blah.

A little attribution and everything's cool, plus he gets to stick with the structure he ripped off.

It would be much better to be reprimanded by a supervisor for being lazy (just reading Ding's stuff rather than writing original script) than to be suspended by your employer and viewed by your entire industry as dishonest.

A little attribution, a willingness to be lazy and the guy is having a swell New Year's. Now not so much.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Hell, make the intro similar and not identical and nobody is any the wiser.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I'm inclined to cut the guy some slack because this is my greatest fear: I'll cut-and-paste something onto the Word file I'm using as my "notebook," it will commingle with every other quote I've jotted off the tape recorder and story start I've played with, and in a rush I will read down the whole big file and grab it as my own. Maybe I'm being naive in this case, but I could totally see this happening to me.

7. Mizzougrad96

I worked with three guys who did just that. One was fired. One was suspended for a month. One was told to be careful and was not further disciplined. All three incidents were virtually identical and happened within two years of each other at the same paper.

8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

“I made a horrible mistake and I’m deeply sorry. I did not live up to my high standards or ESPN’s. ..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Place playing favorites, eh?

10. Mizzougrad96

Oh, it was ridiculous. The guy who was fired was very low on the totem pole. The guy who got a month was much higher up and a favorite of the SE. The guy who got slapped on the wrist was a superstar. I'm not saying all of them should have been fired, but some consistency is always nice.

11. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Suspended.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/12/30/will-selva-plagiarism-esp_n_802608.html

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I never understood how anyone could buy the notebook accident excuse.

Either you are lying or a horribly unorganized, forgetful and therefore untrustworthy journalist.

Draft saved Draft deleted