1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lakeland Ledger

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Aug 7, 2008.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Pipeline reports 36 FTEs about to go, not sure how many in newsroom or in sports. Apparently, they will work through late September.
    The fun never stops.

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

So basically they're chopping at every NYTR paper in Florida, one day at a time.

Gainesville, you're on the clock.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

What's this? The Layoff Express?

4. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

It's such a fun time to be a journo.

5. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

It is in our shop.

There's a guy in Lakeland with "my" name. I hope he'll be OK, because most decision makers long ago got in the habit of throwing my resumes away.

6. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Ocala, you're in the hole.

7. Tommy_Dreamer

Glad its good where you're at. I sent you a PM, btw.

8. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

One from sports and a lot of other very good workers at the copy desk most of whom I consider friends.

Very sad to hear what happened there.

9. Tommy_Dreamer

I'll second that naf.

10. Central-KY-Kid

Central-KY-Kid Well-Known Member

http://www.jacksonville.com/apnews/stories/080708/D92DPGB80.shtml

August 7, 2008

Times Co.'s Lakeland paper to cut 36 staff

The Associated Press

LAKELAND, Fla. - The Ledger will lay off 36 employees, the publisher at The New York Times Co. newspaper in Lakeland announced Thursday.

The positions that will be eliminated affect almost every department of the newspaper, including 11 jobs in the newsroom, Publisher Jerome Ferson said.

Newspaper executives were not immediately available to comment on any effects at The News Chief in Winter Haven, which sold its newspaper operations to The Ledger in March.

The cuts will be effective Sept. 21.

"It is with deep regret that we find ourselves in circumstances that require us to reduce the workforce. It's never an easy decision to come to," Ferson said in a statement. "This is a very dynamic time we are in. I would characterize it as a struggle of epic proportions, but we have a base of talented employees that are capable of rising to the challenge."

Besides the layoffs, some open positions will remain vacant, Ferson said.

The Ledger will have a total of 284 employees, nearly a third off its high of 415 in 1999. The newsroom will have 62 employees compared to a high of 99 that same year, the paper said.

The Ledger cut 14 jobs in September, then announced layoffs of 18 employees in November and four employees in June. The paper also has cut costs by merging sports and business sections and plans to do the same with local news and features sections, Ferson said.

The announcement came two days after The Sarasota Herald-Tribune, another New York Times Co. newspaper, said it laid off 33 employees.

A representative from the New York Times did not immediately return a message seeking comment.

Two weeks ago, New York Times Co. reported an 11 percent drop in second-quarter advertising revenue as shifting reader habits and ad spending combined with the worsening economy.

11. Tommy_Dreamer

News Chief open positions won't be filled, but nobody will go from that building, at least for now.

12. Central-KY-Kid

Central-KY-Kid Well-Known Member

Article in Lakeland Ledger about cuts:

http://www.theledger.com/article/20080807/NEWS/135876980/1410&title=Ledger_to_Lay_Off_36_Employees

Draft saved Draft deleted