1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lady (mascot)?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by CA_journo, Dec 1, 2010.

1. Keystone

Keystone Member

Preference is not to use "Lady" in anything unless it's a specific nickname. One school I cover is the Colts (boys) and Fillies (girls). In my neck of the woods, you can usually tell the age of the reporter if "Lady xxxxxx" appears in the copy. The radio guys are especially guilty of this.

2. CA_journo

CA_journo Member

Thanks, yeah, we're not in the south. I think I'll just keep using the real mascot name for girls and boys, just saying "the Springfield Podunks girls basketball team..." at first. Pretty sure with the photo next to it, there will be no confusion as to who I'm talking about. My predecessor used "Lady" semi-regularly.

3. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

If it's the official name of the teams, you really have no choice if you want to be accurate.

4. mjp1542

mjp1542 Member

My high school: Ironmen/Lady Ironmen (although that wasn't official, it's just what the girls teams called themselves)

My college: Dukes/Lady Dukes (women's teams are just Dukes now; they were Duchesses back in the pre-1990s)

School I work for now is Minutemen/Minutemaids.

I've run the gamut. But as a writer, I'd only refer to "Lady" if the official name was "Lady XXXXs" which is what I'd say is proper protocol.

5. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

This pretty much sums it up

6. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

I've seen old media guides from Arkansas-Little Rock, where the mascot is the Trojans. Back in the day, the women's basketball team was called the Women of Troy.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I love how CA tries repeatedly to end this debate and it just keeps going ....

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Ripped off from USC, which was trying to avoid the "condom" connotation.

9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

The one-size-fits-all SportsJournalists.com debate: Do you call them the Lady (insert name here) while covering them from the press box or the sidelines?

10. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

If the school's name is the Podunk Rebels, then that's the nickname for the boys and girls. End of story.

11. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

And their crosstown rivals at Warren Central are the Lady Vikes. There's a lot of pride in both names and that's what they want to be called. Like the Lady Techsters or Lady Vols.

I'd prefer not to use lady in team names, but if the team calls themselves that, you have no choice. In my shop in Florida, we got rid of the lady before mascot names and life was much happier.

12. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Depends on it you're wearing shorts, jeans or slacks.

Draft saved Draft deleted