1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lady Gaga flashes her meat

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Suicide Squeezer, Sep 7, 2010.

1. service_gamer

service_gamer Well-Known Member

Okay, you got me. As soon as Lady Gaga gets busted for lip-synching, I assure you I'll be more than ready to eat my words about her talent.

2. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Waddya mean? Don't you understand the talent and creativity it takes to write great lyrics such as "Nah nah na-na-na-ah"?

3. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Have you heard her interviews? Did you see her on Larry King? She is a 100 percent, intelligent, critically thinking fucking weirdo.

That wasn't calculated acting by a long shot.

4. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

Read the Rolling Stone profile of her in July.
    It sheds light on the calculations including that the name Lady Gaga was created in a marketing meeting and not in a faulty text message as she said.

And that tidbit came from a puff piece on her.

5. ADodgen

ADodgen Member

I used to think she was a flash-in-the-pan fraud, but I've really changed my mind about her. I think she's brilliant.

6. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I find it somewhat hilarious how Madonna is now, retrospectively, viewed as a remarkable talent beyond comparison, and not just as much of a marketing/shock creation as, say, Lady Gaga.

Is it because Madonna wrote and produced songs like Boderline, Holiday, Crazy for You, Like a Virgin, Material Girl, Into The Groove, Lucky Star?

What's that? She didn't write or produce a single one of those songs? Weird.

She's unlikely to have the long-term staying power of Madonna, obviously, because Madonna is the most successful female artist of all time. But let's not pretend Madonna's success is because she had a great voice or that she was stone cold gorgeous. She doesn't have the greatest voice, and she wasn't the best looking woman on the planet when she burst on the scene. She's good enough looking, and she has an above average voice, better than Brittney Spears, but nothing compared to, say, Whitney Houston (before the drugs) or Christina Augilera. Madonna understood marketing, shock value, sex appeal, how to work with other talented people, and how to stay slightly ahead of virtually every popular musical movement to the point where her "talent" and her "image" became indistinguishable. Germanatta, vocally, probably blows Madonna out of the water, and she certainly plays more instruments at this age than Madonna did. So to imply she's nothing more than Tiffany in leather underwear with a whip in her hand is stupid.

I think to get bitchy about Lady Gaga being nothing but a marketing creation is kind of like bitching that professional wrestling is fake, and acting like you're the only one who sees that it's scripted. In reality, 99 percent of the people who follow professional wrestling know it's fake, and embrace it's fakeness, but still acknowledge that it does take a modicum of talent to do backflips off the third rope and fall 20 feet off a steel cage onto a folding table. Wearing a meat suit is calculated, a most people know it's calculated, and yet they still can't look away.

it's no coincidence that Germanatta was a big fan of Warhol, who was considered a hack by a lot of people, but who also posed some interesting questions that still resonate today like: What is the difference, really, between advertising and art? She is, in some respects, a human Campbell's soup can of this millennium.

If you're feeling exasperated that everyone just doesn't get it, then the joke is probably on you.

7. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I don't deny that. I'm just point out that, the early songs of her career that made her famous, she did not write, mix, produce, whatever. She certainly took more of a hand in the writing as she grew up and gained confidence, and now I believe does most of that on her own, but none of those songs you mentioned came until her third album, True Blue, correct?

I'm pretty sure we're still waiting for Lady Gaga's follow up to her second album. I think, in that respect, it's a little quick to declare Lady Gaga a puppet/marketing gimmick.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

There is not a single, organic thing about Gaga. She is absolutely the result of a marketing meeting in which a bunch of suits said "We need to create this artist who celebrates spontaneity and speaks to outsiders, even though she is the creation of the kids who sat in the back of the bus in sixth grade."

But her shit is irresistible. RA RA RARARARARARA!!

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

PLAY CRIMSON AND CLOVER!!!!!

10. AreaMan

AreaMan Member

How about "She Loves You, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah" or "Nah, nah, nah, nah-na-na-naaahhhh" for the last four minutes of a song? C'mon guys, if you're going to criticize someone for lyrics let's not forget some of the greatest songwriters of all time have had goofy-ass, sing-along type stuff too.

Where's that pic of the grumpy old man from SNL? That certainly applies here.

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

The Tartan Army will cut you.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

A Gaga CD would infinitely raise the quality of your CD collection. *ducks and runs*

Draft saved Draft deleted