1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ladies only please. Have you been harassed on the job?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by chazp, Jun 28, 2007.

?

Have you been sexually harassed on the job during your journalism career?

1. Yes

9 vote(s)
    60.0%
  2. No

6 vote(s)
    40.0%
  1. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I'm not sure how women being harassed in this job is a surprising thing to anyone. A girl has to pick her battles, and most of us are only gonna make it an issue if it's egregious.

2. zag's opposed to this, of course, so he posts two anecdotes and the villain in both of them is...a woman!
    What were the odds?

3. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Who knows. I don't really have time to think about why some men behave the way they do. As long as they don't stop me from doing my job or bother me too much, it's kind of like whatever.

But this sort of thing really is getting pretty rare.

4. shockey

shockey Active Member

interesting thread.

i just happened to recently reconnect with a female sportswriter i knew on the ny jets beat from '83-86. she's out of the biz now, but fondly remembered those days in our talk and thanked me and the others in the "infamous" jets press room for always looking out for her. back then, there was even an instance where after a game an opposing team refused to let her into their locker room. when some of us exited the room, we happily gave her all the quotes we'd received.

i also recall my all-time favorite story: after one game, that neanderthal mark gastineau dropped his towel in front of jenny kellner, then with the ny daily news. he stood there and challenged jenny with, "aren't you embarrassed to be in here?"

to which jenny replied, "why? your penis is just like anybody else's -- only smaller." ;D ;D

no problems for jenny thereafter. 8)

5. chazp

chazp Active Member

I understand your feelings on this. I have told a coworker via e-mail I liked a story. I also feel it's not a great idea to compliment a female coworker. I have made a few exceptions to this rule. A coworker just came back from maternity leave and changed the color of her hair. No one noticed that morning and she looked depressed (I wonder if it was Post Parden Depression), so I asked her in the afternoon if she had done something with her hair, she really perked up and told me about it. I told her I liked it. She had a different attitude the rest of the day and didn't seem as depressed. But that was an exception, not a rule.

6. audreyld

audreyld Guest

Two things:

1. It's post-partum, not post parden.

2. How about treating your coworkers like humans, regardless of gender, instead of ruling out any complimentary behavior based on the recipient's sex?

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

One of my very close and good friends, who no longer is in the biz, was one of the first female scribes allowed into the California Angels locker room 30-some years ago, and the stories she has told me are just wild.

8. chazp

chazp Active Member

Thanks for correcting me. I do like to err on the side of caution, however, when it comes to being complimentary. You just never know how it could be interpreted.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I love stories like that. Heard a few of them, mostly from women who have done very well in the business.

10. audreyld

audreyld Guest

That attitude is as ridiculous as the attitude of women who cannot accept from a man the same compliment she'd accept from a woman.

Ridiculous.

11. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

I've been sexually harassed at every job I've have except for my current one.

I got one guy fired, and kick myself everytime I think about it that I didn't get the other one axed. Turns out he was being this way with every other chick.

12. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Are people really that concerned that they don't even talk to the women they work with? Is it that hard to just talk to them like anyone else? What kind of neanderthal can't tell jokes to a woman on company time and take the time to be friendly, without saying shit that makes them come off like a dickweed, or in a manner that suggests it's only being said to get in said co-worker's pants. Shit people, we're in the fucking communications business where we're paid to be charming, friendly, and not creepy.

Draft saved Draft deleted