1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ladies and gentlemen, your National Magazine Award winners:

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by jgmacg, May 2, 2007.

1. I can believe their circulations are that big. I just can't believe they would win any fucking awards. I could wipe my ass with glossy paper and the product would be better than "O, the Oprah Magazine."

2. chazp

chazp Active Member

Me and Mother, Mother Jones, Mother Jones, Mother Jones. We got a thing going on.
    Apologizes in advance to singer Billy Paul.

3. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Uh, oh. sounds like someone's pissed they didn't win an APSE.
    :D

4. Untrue, actually, Ides.
    I just know that most of America's SE's wouldn't know good writing if it walked up and whistled in their ears.

5. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Just giving you some grief.

But I agree. I'm pretty disappointed by the writing done at the papers in my market. I think a lot of that problem, though, is there's often not enough time or space to craft magazine-worthy articles at a daily newspaper. And SEs, copy editors and writers also have too many other things going on all around them to devote the resources to perfecting some of the reporting done.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I wouldn't go that far, F_B, but I do think sometimes the APSE fails to recognize writing from places that aren't perennial award-winners (maybe that's the fault of editors who aren't submitting? I dunno.). Looking at this magazine list, a whole lot of niche publications and places you wouldn't think first for great writing are getting their due.

Draft saved Draft deleted