1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ladies and gentlemen, your Brooklyn Islanders!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Baron Scicluna, Oct 24, 2012.

1. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Hey, I didn't say that, either!

I love Brooklyn. It just ain't chic, is all.

Dat's my ancestral home youse tawkin' about. Whaddaya think ya doin'?

2. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

No, you didn't. I apologize.

3. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Hey, lighten up, oh goaltending one. I'm just funnin' you. All is well.

4. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Well I'm not part of the ownership group so I'm not really worried. But now that the Isles will be in Brooklyn they're going to outdraw the Devils? When they were in the Meadowlands even less people went to NYC after the games.

5. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

My apology to you was sincere. I was an ass.

On a competely unrelated note and not an attempt to thread jack - watched "The French Connection" for the upteenth time the other day. Didn't Popeye live in Brooklyn? And wasn't the car chasing train filmed there?

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

When the Devils were in the Meadowlands, it was easier for New Yorkers to go see the games.

And now that the Islanders are in Brooklyn, the Devils have no place local to move if they go bankrupt.

7. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Very good point.

8. cjericho

No it wasn't easier for people in NYC to go to the Meadowlands.Anyone in Manhattan can get to Penn Station and take the Path to Newark. The Meadowlands was easier for pople in most NJ suburbs, obviously not in Essex Cty. Not sure but doubt the Devils are worried about the Isles moving to Brooklyn.

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I said it was an easier drive to the Meadowlands from midtown and the financial district. Which it is. Especially for steak-and-a-game Town Car/expense account types who'd normally spend their company money on Rangers tickets at MSG. The guys from the arbitrage desk at Goldman who eat at Keen's or Sparks and want to see a hockey game aren't going to Newark. Which is one of the reasons Devils attendance is down since they moved to the Pru.

And the Devils surely do have their own troubles - but for the last couple years the move to Brooklyn was floated as a solution to some of them.

10. shockey

shockey Active Member

i'm brooklyn born and raised and damn proud of it. i lived in the toney park slope section until '89, when we made the move to long island; da folks still live in the apartment i grew up in... for those unfamiliar, brooklyn is HUGE, with neighborhoods running the gamut from slummy to, yes, chic (whatever that means)...

brooklyn heights, the slope, carroll gardens, these boast of gorgeous homes and first-rate restaurants of all ethnicities. to categorize brooklyn as only full of slums, or decrepit, or chic, or falling apart, or on its way back up is ridiculous. no single adjective encompasses the entire borough.

so this attempt to label it is silly.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Shock, my wife was born and raised in Bushwick, and the last time we were in NYC we went out to look at her old neighborhood, which in the '80s was your basic urban post-apocalyptic nightmare. In 2011, anyway, it looked like a tidy working-class area. Ironwork on the windows, but fresh paint and neat houses and mini-yards. Went to the parish church where she was baptized. English-language mass was SRO.

12. cjericho

Devils avg attendance 06-07 (last at Meadowlands) -- 14,176
    Devils avg attendance 11-12 -- 15,396

Draft saved Draft deleted