1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ladies and gentlemen, please welcome yooooour New Orleans Pelicans!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Batman, Dec 5, 2012.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Once upon a time (late 1970s), the New Orleans Pelicans were a minor league baseball affiliate of the St. Louis Cardinals. Played their home games in the Superdome.

3. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

Probably unknown in the rest of the country, but Hornets is a Charlotte-specific nickname. Not that the Bobcats are likely to adopt it ...

4. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

I believe I read in the NY Times on Sunday that the Charlotte Observer reported that Jordan is interested in bringing back the Hornets name in the future. Or that he is at least open to it.

5. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

Hmm. Interesting.

6. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

Found it.

"It's definitely an interest down the road...We would definitely entertain the opportunity. That's as much as we can say right now. We've heard the community ask the question, and we would listen."

7. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

People in North Carolina are pretty excited about the idea that the Bobcats might re-claim the Hornets name.

8. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

As said elsewhere, Jordan is open to changing the Bobcats' name.

NBA should really do some name shuffling ...

New Orleans Jazz
    Charlotte Hornets
    Utah Grizzlies
    Memphis Emptyarenas (Blues?)

But really, as long as a major league was willing to accept a team named the Mighty Ducks and another took in a team called the Ravens, I can't rip on Pelicans too much.

9. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

The Pelicans name for baseball goes much further back than the 1970s.

10. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Story I read said Benson was picking between Pelicans, Krewe and a few other names.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

There was a minor league team from the 19th century until the 1950s, with a few years hiatus here and there. They even played at a place called Pelican Park.

To further confuse matters, the Charlotte Hornets were orignally a WFL team.

12. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

At least New Orleans is known for pelicans.

Utah Jazz?
    Los Angeles Lakers?
    ... or Clippers?
    ... or Dodgers?

Seems to me when a franchise with a location-specific nickname moves cross-country, it ought to come up with a new nickname.

Draft saved Draft deleted