1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

LaDainian Tomlinson named NFL MVP

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dreunc1542, Jan 4, 2007.

1. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Surprisingly, he beat Drew Brees easily.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2719845

2. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

The surprise is that two voters thought Peyton Manning had a better year than Tomlinson. The vote was Tomlinson 44, Brees 4, Manning 2

3. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

The Manning votes are indefensible.

4. shockey

shockey Active Member

surprising to whom? speak for yourself.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Rick Gosselin voted for the first loser.
    http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/columnists/rgosselin/stories/123106dnspogosselin.2b39f86.html

6. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Makes sense.

I think that a handful of backs could have had that Tomlinson year under those circumstances.

and that Brees' performance was more singular.

7. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

it's a very compelling arguement. almost makes me want to vote for Brees.

8. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Well, it would be a travesty not to reward a historic season like Tomlinson had.

What probably hurt Brees is that he was on pace for about 5,000 yards with three games to go, after that five-touchdown game against Dallas. And then he slowed down pretty quick ...

Washington -- 21-38, 208 yards, INT (Saints loss)
    at NY Giants -- 13-32, 132 yards, TD

... I won't even put the stats from this past week's game here, because he played a couple drives, then sat on the bench to make sure he was healthy for the playoffs.

Meanwhile, Tomlinson went nine straight games rushing for more than 100 yards. I'm guessing how both players ended the season probably had something to do with that large margin in the vote.

9. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

The only two that should have gotten votes were Tomlinson and Brees. I probably expected it to be closer, but what LT did was some shit no one had done before. Right conditions only take you so far. You have to be really fucking good to run the way he did and score touchdowns at a rate that makes Marion Barber jealous.

10. RokSki

RokSki New Member

This award's for you, Peter King. Cheers.

11. jay_christley

jay_christley Member

I would have voted for LT (not that I have a vote) but I can understand the argument for Brees.

But who in the hell voted for Manning? And with what logic?

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The logic of a Manning vote is that he was the top-rated NFL quarterback on a 12-4 team whose defense would've been bad for a 2-14 team. He was the Colts, pure and simple.
    Not saying he's above Tomlinson, but it's a perfectly defensible argument.

Draft saved Draft deleted