1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ladainian Tomlinson and Reggie Bush

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chuck~Taylor, Nov 21, 2006.

1. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

I'll assume that the problems you're having are related to the people you are talking to. Only an idiot would suggest Bush will revolutionize the game. He's potentially a helluva player, and NFL types slobber all over themselves over guys with any versatility, but only a dummy would suggest he'll truly change the game.

It's all so much ESPN-induced mythmaking. They want all you guys -- college kids and younger -- to think you are watching the second coming of whoever ... that you are bearing witness to a history so profound in 45 years you'll look back and say "who knew he would be that great?" It's been going on for years, but never so shamelessly as now.

2. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

Totally agree with you. My point is let's not let the ESPN hypemakers change or distract our view on Reggie Bush. Don't use your hate on ESPN towards Bush. Because the guy has alot of talent. It's too early to call him the next Eric Metcalf or Desmond Howard.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I see your point with Montana and Rice, though the 49ers were doing that before they got Rice. If anything, it was Bill Walsh and Montana who deserve credit for popularizing that approach.

I don't think anybody can argue that Lawrence Taylor revolutionized the way his position was played. I wonder if guys like Joey Porter even realize the doors that Taylor helped open for them.

I don't see that Sanders changed the game, simply because nobody else can do what he did. And if they try, they usually don't last long in the NFL. Most coaches don't want to put up with guys taking big losses like Sanders used to do and I don't think even Tomlinson could pull off some of the amazing things Sanders did with a football.

4. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

You wanna' talk about revolutionizing the game? How 'bout this guy :):
    [​IMG]

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Yeah, because the idea of using height as an advantage in sports is revolutionary.

Somebody please look up R.C. Owens (though that was as much jumping ability as height).

6. MCEchan36

MCEchan36 Guest

Thank you for calling Mr. Tomlinson by his PROPER nick-name. There is only one LT. Granted that Tomlinson is the top of his class at his position, but Taylor was flat-out, inexplicably dominant and you could not compare anyone else to him.

7. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

Agreed. Now that I no longer watch SportsCenter, I find myself not so well versed on who the next hype is, and I enjoy that. I have great expectations for Reggie Bush, not because Stewy says I should, but because he's a helluva player. Same time, I understand the chances of him being the best player to come out of the 06 draft are slim.

8. GoochMan

GoochMan Active Member

As a long-time Saints fan I agree with those who say Reggie Bush will be in the Pro Bowl in two to three seasons. He's still learning that his athletic ability will only get him so far in the NFL, i.e. he can't get around the corner on most NFL defenses. But this past two weeks I've seen him making that hard cut inside, which allows him to use his speed to get defenders on their heels. In other words, he's running more like Warrick Dunn runs, and that's what I want to see. Once he learns to make that second move on DB's who are flat-footed because they can't get a good pursuit angle on him, he's going to start breaking some big runs. I can see it coming now, whereas for the first 8-9 weeks it was clear he was trying, and failing, to get around defenses at the sideline.

And don't dare compare him to Desmond Howard. His body frame could use more meat, sure. And he needs to work on ball security. But you can't tell me Reggie Bush is afraid of taking or dishing out some punishment.

Draft saved Draft deleted