1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

LA Times (update) will cut 150 from newsroom, 250 overall

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by H.L. Mencken, Jun 27, 2008.

1. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Re: LA Times layoffs rumor

clutch: If your theory is true, explain Fox News Channel's plummeting ratings and the blood that's spilling over there. They fell to 3rd last book, and their strongest demos are age 70+.

----------

Back on topic: Someone posted an article a couple of weeks ago in which Zell was quoted. He held Hartford up as a shining example of productivity. He then proceded to wield the ax HEAVILY in Hartford.

In that same article, he said the LAT is an example of poor productivity.

If Hartford is any indication of what's coming in L.A. .... look out.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I heard the 225 number again.
    Still no word on Orlando.

Tampa gets details next week. Probably 20 percent of the newsroom and it won't be limited to non-management.

This shit is just awful.

3. Billy Monday

Billy Monday Member

What a dumb animal you are. If you're in this business, you don't belong in it.
    I read their A-section stories all the time. They are relentlessly objective. They define what reporters should be -- those who question the status quo, question authority, watchdog for the public interest and hold people accountable to the truth, no matter which political party.
    If they do those things to Bush/Cheney, that's because it's their job. It's the same thing they have done to Obama or whoever.
    By the way, in today's paper, they have a big story about how Obama has shifted from his previously stated views, moving toward the center for political purposes.
    Does that mean the LA Times is biased against Obama or just doing its damn job the way it should?

4. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

The LA Times A section still kicks ass, even though the entire paper is down a ways from what it was. I still think it's a great section. It's stuff like this that we have to fight against Zell about.

5. Billy Monday

Billy Monday Member

It's phenomenal. They've had a reporter in Zimbabwe this week covering the drama with the evil dictator there.
    It's great stuff.
    Their stories from around the world are what makes it a great paper. They bring you there and inform you in a way that's easy to understand.
    It is an invaluable huge public service.
    It is just terribly sad and pathetic that much of our dumbed-down society and Tribune bean counters couldn't care less.

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

The bean counters owe 13 billion beans.

If paying back those 13 billion beans does not take priority over elections in Zimbabwe, then there will be no company --- and thus no reporters --- to report the news anyway.

It truly sucks, but either Zell puts down the hammer, or the bankers do. There is no option No. 3 that I'm aware of.

7. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

If you can't buy a company without going into massive, potentially crippling debt, perhaps you shouldn't buy the company.

8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

He shouldn't have. He knows it. He fucked up.

But it's like going into Iraq. We fucked up. We're in. What's done is done. How do we get out?

9. Italian_Stallion

Italian_Stallion Active Member

This stuff gets old fast. I don't know when the bomb will drop, but I vote for never.

10. WS

WS Member

225 from the newsroom. How many from the sacred ones advertising?

11. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

Billy Monday: Dumb animal, huh? Nice talk, pal. I've said nothing to disparage you, but you engage in personal attacks in trying to make a point.

Nice comeback.

12. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

Still waiting for any actual examples of LA Times news stories so far to the left that they're alienating vast numbers of readers...

Draft saved Draft deleted