1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

LA Times to stop attending USC and UCLA practices

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Elliotte Friedman, Sep 26, 2012.

1. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Per Chris Foster tweet. New policy from the newspaper.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Wait, so Jim Mora is being the same kind of dicksnort that Kiffin is? That's disappointing. I thought Mora was an actual human being.

Will be interesting to see how this plays out, that's for sure.

3. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

It's nice the LA Times and other media outlets there had the option of going to practice or not. Beat guys for Alabama, Florida, Ohio State ... hell just about every SEC or Big Ten school ... don't get that choice.

4. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Would love to see some explanation for this action. Seems to me like cutting off nose to spite one's face.

5. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

So you are going to hurt the readers because you are butthurt?

(I assume they just decided they weren't getting enough out of them.

6. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Bud Withers of the Seattle Times had a nice story about Pac-12 media football access recently, with a sidebar noting each program's policy. Mora's practices were open, so readers interested in UCLA are being shortchanged because Kiffin is a dick.

http://seattletimes.com/html/huskyfootball/2019185626_pac12access18.html

7. Mr. X

Mr. X Member

Might this be a protest against restrictions and/or that The Times does not feel it should be restricted in reporting what it has witnessed? There all reporters were removed from today's UCLA practice after an ESPN camera crew began taping. There is also word this was because of a communications breakdown.

8. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Umm, do you not remember his Falcons tenure? Loads of fun to cover, let me tell you.

9. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Active Member

Is the LA Times doing this because of lack of media access or is the real motive to cut staffing requirements?

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I don't remember him being this much of an ass. Combative in interviews, maybe, but I don't recall him having this kind of God complex. But maybe I was just too far removed from it. I do remember him being pretty media-friendly in SF and Seattle.

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I wasn't there, so I don't know. But he was definitely difficult behind the scenes (and occasionally in front of the cameras) in Atlanta.

No more so than a typical football coach, mind you. But certainly not close to "media-friendly."

12. Bubbler

Bubbler Active Member

That's the truth.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/blogs/college-gridiron-365/os-fbc-uclas-jim-mora-jr-tosses-media-out-of-practice-20120926,0,3806137.post

Draft saved Draft deleted