1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

LA Times -- Tag Briefs Subhead Large

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by YankeeFan, Mar 29, 2009.

1. Dignan

Dignan Guest

I can see one of these mistakes getting by, but a whole fucking page? No excuse.

2. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

WFFW.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Tag briefs, back again ....

Whoomp! There it is!

4. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Ah, I have to say -- that's exactly how these things happen ... if you catch one, you're going to catch them all...

5. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

i laughed

6. eyecu

eyecu Member

The best thing about this is that - if the LA Times uses CCI - the system puts in its own dummy text and won't let people typeset the page with system-generated dummy text on it.

CCI usually keeps these types of mistakes from happening.

So not only did the designer or copy editor get rid of the system-generated dummy text, but they then put in their own dummy text instead.

Silly mistake.

Or maybe the LAT got rid of the safeguards against the system-generated dummy text error for some reason.

7. CCaple

CCaple Member

My favorite is the byline I read in my hometown rag every now and then:

First Name Last Name
    The Daily Rag

8. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

As I have related here previously, the dummy test thing happened on the front page cover story of sports once in the late 1980s of USA Today in the final edition:

And a
    six-line
    readout
    goes
    right
    here

I was 800 miles away, visiting my mom. I did the classic spit-take when I saw it.

There was an explanation, but it wasn't budget or personnel cutbacks.

Sh*t happens, folks.

9. J-School Blue

J-School Blue Member

Shit happens, maybe it was directly related to the cutbacks on the copy desk, maybe it wasn't.

I'm glad people are noticing, though. But I fear this is not the tipping point, contrary to the blog, and the tipping point will be much worse.

Draft saved Draft deleted