1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

LA Times' Steve Lopez on the newspaper business

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Billy Monday, Jun 21, 2006.

1. Billy Monday

Billy Monday Member

http://www.latimes.com/news/columnists/la-me-lopez21jun21,1,6404341.column?coll=la-news-columns

2. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

Good column and he makes some sharp points. Steve Lopez is a pro...every time I read him, I'm impressed.

3. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I still like to think of us as vibrant, highly profitable businesses rather than something that needs the protection of a philanthropic curator, as if we're dinosaur bones in a museum. I think it would be nice if more papers became privately owned by people who want healthy but not ridiculous profits, but I think being owned by a j-school or philanthropy would be horrible because of the ivory tower and elitist factors. I think a lot of what I read on poynter.org by the faculty is total bullshit -- dangerously naive at times -- and I think I would find it more draining to deal with those people than I would with the corporate types.

4. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

Agreed. I have one of his best philosophies tacked up on my desk at work, which forever reminds me the importance of reporting as opposed to just opining.

"Opinion is cheaper than ever and easier to come by."

5. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Publicly traded corporation is the worst kind of ownership. It's not working for anybody.

It's been stated here many times that private ownership hasn't proven to be any better. To be blunt, oftentimes you're at the whim of an eccentric or a scrooge.

That leaves nonprofit.

6. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

What we really need to do is get back to the good old days of state-controlled media.

7. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

And if you're in non-profit, you're not getting paid what you're really worth.

8. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Well, St. Pete Times pays pretty well.

Forgive me if I'm missing some sarcasm font thing here.

9. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

Tupelo, Miss., pays well for papers its size in Mississippi.

10. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

As others said, not necessarily true. Nonprofits pay fine. The top execs may not roll in the stock options, but for us peons it probably wouldn't make much difference. Might even help, if ownership believed in investing in quality reporters.
    Good column. I especially liked the part about journalists being cranky types who don't take well to direction.

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

"Are you very well read? Or very well red?"  ;)

12. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

No sarcasm intended.

In the last five years I have worked full-time in the non-profit sector (in PR, not journalism). While I make good money, I'm sure I could make at least 15-20 % more in the private sector.

Of course, I'd also have to deal with a lot of corporate bullshit, and that ain't me. So, the lower pay is well worth preserving my sanity.

Draft saved Draft deleted