1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

LA Times' Shaikin on MLB.com, dearth of newspaper beat writers

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Cousin Jeffrey, Oct 6, 2009.

1. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

You're not an idiot. But your enmity clouds your judgment.

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Enmity towards what? I don't dislike the LA Times or Shaikin. It's just a topic which NOBODY outside the journalism field gives a rat's ass about. If you cut the last five or six grafs, it would make an interesting piece for CJR or some other journalism forum. Could probably start a nice thread right here. But it was aimed at the LA Times sports section readership. And missed.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I can't argue with cran's point. Yeah, if the paper had a media column or something I could see it there. But in the ever-so-precious real estate of the sports page? Meh. And I could have lived without the last few graphs too. "Let us know how we can provide better coverage and maintain that independent voice on your behalf" ... sorry, that's your job. If you're the friggin L.A. Times, you shouldn't need a suggestion box. Certainly not to "maintain" your independent voice.

4. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Why not ask the readers what they want?

5. fishwrapper

I can argue the point.
    Readers don't understand. They don't understand the difference between the mlb.com report or an latimes.com report or a blog opinion based on either report. And, pointing out that difference, what makes an independent voice different from a " house voice" or an opinion made from afar is a valid point.
    Pointing out you're a service that provides information without ties is pointing out the worth of your craft. The worth of your profession.
    The lack of understand of that difference...that lack of understanding of that worth has led to some of our devaluation.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

When they respond that they want you to be more fanboy-ish and lay off the bad news about Our Team, you gonna give that to them?

7. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Newspapers have done a lousy job defining their independence for the last 25 years. Through their singular devotion to stockholders and margin, they've devalued the product all by themselves. And if newspapers haven't valued their own independence, why should the readers? Most people take the source of their information into consideration, whether it's a blog, a Wall St. Journal editorial, NFL.com, the company newsletter or the local rag that has increasingly let advertisers creep into the editorial product. A patronizing attempt to "educate" the readers isn't going to change anything. They know what they're getting when they open the local newspaper: Less than they did before in terms of both quality and quantity.

8. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

Take a look at the comments (which i know aren't representative, often times, of society) on one of the house ad type stories on mlb.com, or on a lighter take on a bad team, and you'll see that the fans realize the slant on those stories. it surprised me, actually.

9. fishwrapper

My prior statement holds true:
    Failed attempt? A miss? I can understand. There was nothing patronizing about it.
    That column was one column in a 10-page playoff preview section.

Draft saved Draft deleted