1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

LA Times' Shaikin on MLB.com, dearth of newspaper beat writers

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Cousin Jeffrey, Oct 6, 2009.

1. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

2. dragonfly

dragonfly Member

Really, really good ... until the ending, which sort of reads like a house ad for the Times:

``We want to serve the casual fans, the ones that just want to know if Ramirez hit a home run last night, and the devoted fans, the ones that want to know whether Robb Quinlan will make the Angels playoff roster.

We know a good idea for a story can come from anywhere -- from a clubhouse conversation, a statistical analysis or a fan blog. We would like to help inform your opinions as you help inform ours.

We are still trying to figure all this out, so let us know how we can provide better coverage and maintain that independent voice on your behalf.

See you in the playoffs.''

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I didn't see that as much as a plug as it was some balance. After all, he did mention his two largest (at least in terms of SoCal circulation) competitors in the Register and the Daily News.

4. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

This thread reads like the baseball version of the changing NHL coverage thread/link we had on here not too long ago (which I can't seem to find).

5. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

Here's the passage that absolutely terrified me for the future:

When Lyle Spencer, who covers the Angels for mlb.com, broke the story of the Scott Kazmir trade, the Tampa Bay Rays saw the story and incorrectly assumed the Angels had tipped Spencer. The Rays were enraged because they had not yet told Kazmir, and all of a sudden mlb.com reported the trade had "fallen through," when it had not.

6. tmr

tmr Member

7. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Reader to LA Times: Stop wasting what's left of your space with whining about BLOGS! and give me a good product.

8. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

TMR: Spencer's story was taken down and replaced by the non-bylined blurb, presumably at the Rays' insistence.

9. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

And didn't mention a bigger paper than the Daily News in SoCal that has given up Dodgers/Angels (and lots of other downtown) coverage: Riverside.

10. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

you thought that was "whining"? idiot.

11. Moondoggy

Moondoggy Member

This was interesting to me, but for the average reader I wonder if it was a little too much insider baseball (so to speak).

12. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Yes. Whining. And pathetic, too. Please read our newspaper! We're cutting staff and the news hole but we've got one of those Web site things! You need us! We're independent! Please read us!

We're trying. We've got a newspaper, a website, a Dodgers blog, an Angels blog and a Fabulous Forum sports blog, and two of the country's best beat writers in Mike DiGiovanna and Dylan Hernandez.

We want to serve the casual fans, the ones that just want to know if Ramirez hit a home run last night, and the devoted fans, the ones that want to know whether Robb Quinlan will make the Angels playoff roster.

We know a good idea for a story can come from anywhere -- from a clubhouse conversation, a statistical analysis or a fan blog. We would like to help inform your opinions as you help inform ours.

We are still trying to figure all this out, so let us know how we can provide better coverage and maintain that independent voice on your behalf.

Draft saved Draft deleted