1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

LA Times layoffs

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by playthrough, Jul 14, 2008.

1. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Yeah, I have to agree with MileHigh ... that doesn't sound like he's working another week.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I didn't think so - curious though if that's when this is effective and he's out this week (vacation, personal days, whatever). I probably wouldn't be able to type straight, either, but it does raise the question.

3. Editude

Editude Active Member

Someone I trust sent me a note saying at least six Times sports staffers will be leaving.

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

It's at least that many.

5. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Bob Rowher is a very nice, very talented man and a talented leader. I worked as a prep football freelancer for him when he was based in the Times' Orange County office. He was a great help to me as a young reporter. I wish him all the best.

6. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Jaime Cardenas is good people, and he did a nice job on MLS last year.

I do hope Grahame Jones is safe, but who knows?

Can't believe Larry Stewart is out. Another great newspaper gives its readers more reasons to cancel their subscriptions.

7. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

this is all just sooo fucked up!
    why aren't any business reporters doing stories on this shit.

8. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

"Oh, stop your whining. All these layoffs are mental. There are no problems with newspapers." _ Phil Gramm.

9. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

I heard one of their desk guys _ Jay, don't know his last name _ is out. He's the guy who runs the TheWizOfOdds site, a great college football site.
    May the Zell-ott bastards face eternal damnation and empty stock portfolios.

10. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

The guy's name is Jay Christensen, out after two decades.

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I'm told that Peter Yoon, a writer for 12 years at the Times, is another one out.

12. MMatt60

MMatt60 Member

You could picture Bill Dwyre --- he's now a columnist, right? --- resigning at any moment in disgust.

Draft saved Draft deleted