1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

LA Times going to paywall

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by turski7, Feb 24, 2012.

1. turski7

turski7 Member

New member here, but saw something interesting today. The LA Times moving to a "membership program" or commonly know as a paywall. My company did this in November and seems the trend is gaining more momentum. I believe this is the biggest paper on the West Coast to move to the online pay model. I'm still on the fence, but my paper has seen steady growth through the online subscriptions.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fiw-times-20120224,0,1301270.story

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Allentown has moved to a paywall.

3. 1HPGrad

1HPGrad Member

15 free stories per 30 days. I'm covered; I just go there for TJ.

4. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I'm all but certain all Tribune papers will be shifting to this model soon.

It's also easy as hell to get around, because all you have to do is clear your cookies and you can view 15 more stories. Or, depending on your browser, click Private Browsing.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Until someone (or a large group of someones like the LAT and NYT and WP and WSJ and others banding together) goes whole hog, this isn't going to work. The NYT has a paywall right now, but I'll be damned if I can tell you what it is because I never get near the limit.

I am always reminded of Apple. When they started with their dastardly plan of paying for music, they were evil and out of touch and bound for failure because they were the anti-Napster and music should be freeeeeeeee! They stuck with it.

But until news goes behind a paywall -- and lawyers pursue every copyright infringement they can find -- this is like running the ball when you're down by 17 because you don't want to lose by 31.

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Fixed.

7. Drip

Drip Active Member

Keep reinventing the wheel. Sooner or later you'll find a way to roll.

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

So I'll read even fewer stories from the LA Times?

9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

$4 a week. Yikes.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Ditto...

11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I believe the Dallas Morning News is already doing that. I think all staff-written copy is only available to subscribers -- no freebies, no limit, at least as far as I know. Don't know how it's working out for them, but they're trying it.

12. Glenn Stout

Glenn Stout Member

I've never understood the logic of the paywall concept. Since the advent of the Internet, speed of access has driven everything. Print has nothing to lose now, so if I were running a newspaper or magazine with a web presence and a struggling print product, I’d control not access to the content, but speed of access to the content. Keep all the content free online as is, but make it S-L-O-W… either slow to load, or slow to navigate from one page to another due to load time or ads. I’m sure there must be some relatively easy software program that can do this, and there may even be a way to prevent copying, like amazon does with its “Look Inside” feature to control unwanted distribution of book content. If a reader really wants to continue to read the site for free, fine, but they’ll have to wait.

But if they want it FAST – like we've become accustomed to receiving everything these days – well, then they have to pay. At this point there are several sites I am absolutely addicted to and/or are necessary for what I do that I read for free every day. If, all of a sudden, (like what’s been happening occasionally by accident), it took me thirty seconds to access each article I wanted to read, or each page, I’d run to the store to buy the hard copy.

But if I had to cough up a small sum – say $5 a month – to access that publication online FAST, I think I’d do that. And if a consortium of publications (like newspapers and magazines) got together and allowed me to select, say, five or eight newspapers from a menu of several hundred publications, I’d pay even more to retain my speed of access, just like I pay more for internet service now to get it fast, than I used to when I was on dial up.

Draft saved Draft deleted