1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

LA Times, Chicago Tribune, Denver Post, Baltimore Sun....

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pendleton, Apr 24, 2007.

1. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

I've said it before, and it sucks: Once one chain announces layoffs and buyouts, the others just line up and push 'em out. It's a domino effect.

The corporate suits look around, spot one chain laying good people off, and then they say this: "Hell, Tribune did it, Gannett did it, now we can jump on board. How many people can we dump this time?"

It's a big load of bullshit, in an industry still making an incredible 20 percent profit, and you can bet those corporate suits aren't sweating a bit. In fact, they probably get better bonuses for cutting your staff to the bone and beyond.

There's a reason your paper doesn't release profit-and-earnings statements in your town. They usually say it's a corporate thing, not local, but then they wanna bust ass to get every other statement in town.

Me, as a reader, I want the local newspaper to put it up there just like everyone else they demand to put it up there. You might get some good questions then, and you might get to see some sparks fly.

Draft saved Draft deleted