1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

LA Times: Buss sought out trades for Kobe Bryant this offseason

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by RokSki, Oct 11, 2007.

1. RokSki

RokSki New Member

http://www.latimes.com/sports/basketball/nba/la-sp-lakers11oct11,1,942022,print.story?coll=la-headlines-sports-nba&ctrack=8&cset=true

Sounds like it was not a seller's market.

I wonder if the Kobe Bryant Radio Tour had anything to do with that?:

"He was very, very respectful," Buss said. "I told him when I walked in that I was going to try to talk him out of it. And he said, 'I'll listen carefully.' And he did.

"He listened very carefully for 30, 45 minutes. I tried to explain to him how much the city of Los Angeles loved him, and that to leave 10 million sweethearts for unknown territory might not be the right thing to do. But when I was finished, he said he basically felt the same way. And I said, 'OK. With that, I will proceed to see what's available.' "

Declining to give specifics, Buss said he might have pulled the trigger on a trade offer that was "within reason."

"You have to get comparable value when you make a trade," he said. "It's very hard to trade somebody like him because people who have enough material to make it worthwhile are usually contenders and they don't want to make the trade.

"What was offered was not ever under consideration. And I told Kobe that. I told him I would try my best to accommodate his wishes, but that I could not afford to let him go unless we got comparable talent, if there is such a thing. . . . I even told him occasionally what I was offered and I said, 'You have to know that this is not in favor of the Lakers. This would just be terrible to do.' And he said, 'I understand.' "

2. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

3. Piotr delivers a tape-measure blast.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

how far you think that one carried?

5. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

In one eye and out the other.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

what's that? i didn't understand.

7. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

It's not breaking news if you have to post a link to a story. That means the LA Times broke the news, not the villa bros.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

so, what are you getting at, spup?

9. sportschick

When I didn't listen, my dad always used to say it was in one ear and out the other. I'm just adapting it for the Internets.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

you know, when i was like 20, i owned a motorcycle and ate a bug once on accident when i was on I-5. i don't know how stan can eat those thinigs ... i didn't think it tasted good at all.

11. sportschick

He's a cat, and he really liked my ex-boyfriend. He's got really shitty taste in some things.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

my rottie, which we had for like 12 years loved mrs. petty. she fed the dog every day. i think she gave her water, too.

Draft saved Draft deleted