1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

LA Story

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Alma, May 24, 2012.

?

Which LA Story is the better read?

1. Bill Simmons

3 vote(s)
    15.8%
  2. Lee Jenkins

16 vote(s)
    84.2%
  1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Wow. That's the worst line I've read since "Go, Patch!"

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Me either. Thought I gave this one six grafs before tiring.

3. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Judging from the posts that have provided a hint of Simmons' Steaming Pile Of Words, I'm confident that I have taken a stance which I can defend for as long as Bill Simmons' fingers touch a keyboard.

4. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

When I first opened this thread last night, Jenkins led, 3-2. Now it's 14-2. Leads me to believe Simmons got in early voted ... and so did his daughter or friend.

5. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

OK, I'll jump in...

The Jenkins piece bored me to tears. I have no need to read about a history of LA sports, "fans leave early" cliches or the role of the Staples Center. And if Simmons had written this:

...this board would have collective shit its pants, then imploded.

Having said that, the Simmons piece was nothing special. It was what he does. I liked it more than the Jenkins piece, but I didn't find either one noteworthy on any level. Simmons approached the games as a fan and Jenkins approached them as a sportswriter, and to me the Simmons approach worked better in this case, simply because I don't find it remarkable that a city like Los Angeles had a lot going on last weekend. The more detached style took away what little interest the story held for me.

In general, the reaction to Simmons on this board is predictable and silly. He's good at what he does, and what he does is different from what you do. Really, that's OK.

6. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Define good.

7. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Well, I think the "what he does" part is more the key to it. He writes a sports and pop culture column from a fan perspective aiming for a broad audience of guys, roughly 20 to 45. That, he's good at. He's not striving to add any insight from behind the scenes, which is a big part of why sportswriters exist. He's merely giving one perspective from a fan's view, and obviously, it's a perspective that a hell of a lot of people connect with. (He also knows the NBA better than a large percentage of people who make their living writing about the NBA.)

There are big shortcomings to this -- not the least of which is his style wears thin after a while, because you know his perspective going in. Some days the only question is which pop culture reference he will use. (For this column, if you had "The Wire," you win!)

I absolutely get why a lot of people don't enjoy reading what he writes, but the hostility is silly. The whole "I've never read a word!" badge of honor thing just makes me roll my eyes.

8. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Yes, but Jenkins wrote that as a setup and came back later to expand on why it was significant in each instance. If Simmons had written that, it would just have been to show that he was with those people and he's cool.

9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

So a guy who has never read a Simmons column is now an expert on what he would have done.

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I thought Jenkins' story was OK, I just thought the weekend was strong enough on its own as a unique convergence of all those teams in one building. It's not a referendum on how LA should have a football team (look at all this support! well, duh, they're playoff games) nor is the Hollywood glitz factor anything new.

11. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

I've read enough snippets here and there to get a pretty good idea what the guy's about. And this hammered it home.

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

He is very good at understanding what most 30-45 males in the country like, and he writes about it. Maybe his writing is not all that great, but he has a very good feel for what most people like and what they will like.

Draft saved Draft deleted