1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

LA area question

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Eagles1 in London, May 17, 2007.

1. I have to be in LA for work in a couple weeks. I always like to see a game whenever i travel but the Dodgers are out of town (which is fine because i've been to Dodger Stadium multiple times)...however, Anaheim is playing at home and i'd like to see them...anyone have any idea how long it should take to get there (factoring in weekday traffic)?

2. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Depends on where you are in LA and when you plan on leaving for Anaheim.

I'd suggest the sooner the better from wherever you are. Leave after 3 and you're looking a minimum of 80-90 minutes to drive those 35 miles.

3. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

You'd probably be better off driving to San Francisco for a Giants game.

Just kidding. Kind of.

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

If you can, take the 91 east (traffic not great) to the 5 south (6 lanes of traffic, usually moves well), exit Orangewood. Go left and the stadium is a mile ahead.

It can be a sellout (most are) and 20 minutes before the game, you could shoot a canon down Orangewood and not hit anybody.

5. thanks--my hotel is around the sunset strip--for a 7:00 game i'll try to leave around 5 I guess (though if i can get out earlier i imagine that might be better)...this might be a dumb question, but is there a train that goes to the stadium from LA?

6. poindexter

Traffic is brutal.

Do you have someone else going with you?

Take 101 south (brutal traffic) to

Harbor Fwy south, the 110, (brutal until you get to the carpool lane double decker fwy around USC).

to 91 east (traffic bottles up in Compton because of work on the carpool lane). Then, like I said before, keep there until the 5 south, then exit Orangewood (at Disneyland).

If you are traveling alone, you are in for 2.5 hours maybe.

If you have a carpool partner, less than 1.5 hours.

DO NOT take the 405.

7. poindexter

There's an amtrack stop at Angel Stadium.

Check to see if there is a Union Station (off the 101 in downtown LA) to Angel stadium train, and see when the last one leaves at night.

8. cool--thanks for all the info--i'm going to look into a train option as I just don't think i could deal with the traffic (not to mention i may not even be able to finsh my work until close to 5 which wouldn't leave me time to get there for the first pitch)

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

What would Larry David do?

10. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

Don't take the 405 (sorry, I had to). I sometimes take the 5 right from downtown. It sucks, but it's about an hour and a half to the stadium.

You can take the train to the stadium. Unfortunately, the last train from Anaheim to LA leaves at about 8 p.m, so you'll need to drive if you're planning on getting back to LA that night.

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Word on the 405. I discovered Sepulveda Blvd. as a secret alternative.

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Eagle, leave at 2 and stop in Long Beach for an hour or two, especially Belmont Shore -- 2nd St.

Draft saved Draft deleted