1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

L.A. Times editor O'Shea fired

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Left_Coast, Jan 20, 2008.

1. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Agreed. But will anyone from Tribune get it? If not, that's a lot of quality journalists sacrificed in vain.

And the JRCs and Dean Singleton schools of thought will help Tribune feel better about what it's doing. That's disgusting, but ...

2. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Boiler plate column bitching about the decline of journalism standards in favor of the bottom line coming in 5 ... 4 ... 3 ... 2 ...

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

If the "bottom line" is increasing revenues, I don't think you can say the cuts were in favor of the bottom line. Cuts haven't helped turn newspapers around yet and I don't see it happening in the future.
    Investors are merely buying newspapers for their cash flow, like some meth-head ripping off bleachers and guard rails to get cash for a "fix."

4. GuessWho

GuessWho Active Member

Answering in reverse order: Those days, like Pong, are gone. And it'll stop when there are no more broadsheets as we know them, and that day is coming. Don't know when, but it's inevitable. Hate it, especially since I've spent 36 years in the biz, but it's inevitable.

5. EE94

EE94 Guest

decrying the "business-ization" of newspapers is like wailing about the "business-ization" of sports.
    The latter was pretty clear from the time Babe Ruth was sold to the New York Yankees.
    The former long before that.

When someone pays $8.2 billion for something, they don't look to increase spending, not matter how "journalistically noble" the reasons might be

(and c'mon, the Olympics are hardly on par with a presidential election. I've seen the LA Times' Olympic machine in operation and it could afford to trim to few dollars)

That being said, I'm all in favour of strong editorial budgets, but let's not pretend that cost-cutting is a "new" financial trend

6. DanOregon

If newspapers were a current presidential candidate - the candidate would be written off as having no chance.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The candidate most closely resembling the newspaper industry, of course, is Fred Thompson.

8. DanOregon

Looks important, sounds important, but in the end, people aren't buying it.

9. The Commish

The Commish Guest

O'Shea's goodbye memo is here. The highlights:

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Funny, that sounds like a firing to me.

11. Bill Brasky

Bill Brasky Active Member

James O'Shea's son is a friend of mine....nice guy (he's not in the newspaper biz, he's working on a Ph.D. in biology). Buddy of mine who works at the Trib says that O'Shea had a rep as being one of the few decent human beings in upper management there.
    The whole thing is extremely depressing...the fact that a major newspaper in a huge city is gutting itself. This industry is just committing suicide in slow motion.

12. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Dead solid perfect.

Draft saved Draft deleted