1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

L.A. Times buyouts

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MileHigh, Apr 21, 2007.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Hope this isn't a d_b

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-tribune21apr21,0,4488687.story?coll=la-home-headlines

Cuts expected to be announced Monday. 150 overall, with 70 from the newsroom.

Tribune had a $217 million operating profit in the first quarter of the year.

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

To be fair, "operating profit" is a company's earning power from ongoing operations, equal to earnings before deduction of interest payments and income taxes.

Tribune has a ton of debt (interest payments) and a staggering tax liability.

3. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

Yes, let's be sure to be fair to the fine folks who lead the Tribune corporation.

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

OK, take away half of that. So their profit was, what, $100 million? For a quarter. I know it's not Google (two straight quarters of $1 billion profits), but still ....

5. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

anyone in sports?

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Actually, story says operating profit declined 16% to $181 million from $217 million.

So shoot me for being fair and accurate.

7. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

A Zell of a note, this.

8. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Wow. Are you always able to turn a phrase like that?

9. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Nice pun. Actually, this isn't his fault yet... he hasn't taken control of Tribune. Now if he does this WHEN he takes charge, then all bets are off.

10. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I'm hoping for the best for a number of former colleagues who I still count as friends.

And yes, this has nothing to do with Zell yet.

11. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

This is probably the same situation as when Singleton bought one of his news groups in SoCal. He had it written into the deal that the outgoing ownership had to do the layoffs. Singleton took control Nov. 1, Oct. 31 was a bloody Halloween in those newsrooms.

12. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

That was Long Beach, wasn't it, SoCal? I remember when he came in there and laid waste to the place. Ugly, ugly happenings, between the mass firings and the 20-30% pay cuts.

That used to be a good paper. :'(

Draft saved Draft deleted