1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

L.A. raises minimum wage to $15/hr

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, May 19, 2015.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

How about a smaller government, where politicians have less to sell?

spikechiquet likes this.
  2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Hey, put me on your mailing list.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Yes.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

CEOs and board members make decisions all the time in the short-term best interests of themselves to raise the stock price, even though they know it is not in the company's best interest. And don't really care.

Bootstraps, etc.

5. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

How about we stop worshipping extreme wealth and level the playing field?

6. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

I completely agree.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Unionization.

FileNotFound and cranberry like this.
  8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Well, then I am willing to allow more people to live in New York, San Jose and San Fran in cheaper apartments if it will help the economy.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

After all, freedom ain't free.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

One other thing that could happen is we could hold people accountable -- like, actual people with indictments and jail terms and stuff -- instead of letting "the banks" plead guilty and pay a ridiculously small portion of their profits as a fine for years of toying with the economy. Apparently no actual person is guilty, just The Banks.

But that would just be crazy.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/21/b...d-interest-rate-cases.html?smid=fb-share&_r=0

The traders were supposed to be competitors, but much like companies that rigged the price of vitamins and automotive parts, they colluded to manipulate the largest and yet least regulated market in the financial world, where some $5 trillion changes hands every day, prosecutors said.

Underscoring the collusive nature of their contact, which often occurred in online chat rooms, one group of traders called themselves “the cartel,” an invitation-only club where stakes were so high that a newcomer was warned, “Mess this up and sleep with one eye open.”

To carry out the scheme, which went on nearly every day for five years through 2012, one trader would typically build a huge position in a currency and then unload it at a crucial moment, hoping to move prices. Traders at the other banks agreed to, as New York State’s financial regulator put it, “stay out of each other’s way.”

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

The death penalty is too good for these assholes. Instead they get a promotion.

12. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I have mixed feelings on this... I have zero sympathy for Wal-Mart, the fast food places, Starbucks, etc...

I do worry about high schoolers trying to get their first job. I do worry about the people who rely on a job to help pay for college. As someone who delivered pizzas and worked at a T-shirt store in college, I wonder if those jobs are as readily available with a much higher minimum wage.

Draft saved Draft deleted