1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

L.A./Orange County/San Diego advice

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Ace, Apr 1, 2015.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Will be heading to California in early May. Staying in Irvine. May take a day trip to San Diego.

Any SJ.com tips on must sees, dos and eats while in the area?

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Belmont Shore in Long Beach. Bring an orange roundie and shoot around awhile at Horny Corner then go kick off the shoes and lounge in front of the bay.

3. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

I live in Irvine. PM me if you want. There is nothing interesting in Irvine (except the Spectrum, which is all national chain restaurants), but it is central to most everything. Angel Stadium and Honda Center are 10 miles north, Dodger Stadium/Staples Center 40 miles north but bad traffic all the way. Huntington Beach, Newport Beach and Laguna Beach are few miles west. San Diego (Petco Park, SD Zoo) about 80 miles south. Of course, Disneyland and Knott's Berry Farm are close by. Santa Monica (my hometown) is 50 miles north and the city is virtual gridlock most of the time. It is a beautiful drive from Santa Monica to Santa Barbara (about 100 miles) on Pacific Coast Highway.

4. Songbird

Definitely the drive up the coast as the full moon bounces off the Pacific. I'd take that ride all the way up to about SLO, even Paso Robles, spend the night, then drive back in the morning.

Few things in life sexier than driving the California coast. Roll down the windows, Turn up the volume.

5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

If you in San Diego area, I recommend Stone Brewery in North County and Taylor Guitar factory in El Cajon.

FileNotFound likes this.
  6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

In San Diego itself, marina tour and the Whaley House.

7. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

I know the OC Register has a lot of crap in it, but the restaurant critic, Brad Johnson, is highly thought of, so you might spend some time at ocregister.com to get some tips on restaurants.

8. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

If it's really early May, maybe head up to Santa Anita for Kentucky Derby Day.

9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Hodad's in Ocean Beach for burgers, Balboa Island, the Fisherman's restaurant on the pier at San Clemente.

10. Songbird

Neptune's Net in Malibu.

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Ace, you gotta pick an area an stick to it.
    If you're trying to hit places between San Diego and Malibu, you'll spend most of your time driving and very little time enjoying anything.

SnarkShark likes this.
  12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

CLong hit the high notes. Definitely no need to go inland too far as in the IE. Thumbs up for the Santa Anita recommendation. Close to good spots in Pasadena. And, yes, the traffic will suck ass.

Draft saved Draft deleted