1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ky. teen facing jail for naming sexual assault attackers

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Jul 22, 2012.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Every instinct in me cries out that this girl should not be prosecuted, but I can also see how incredibly sticky things get when juvenile court hearings get dragged into the spotlight. An unholy mess all around.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/savannah-dietrich-twitter-sexual-assault-louisville-174732753.html

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I can see how she could be barred from talking about the legal portion of the case.

I can't understand how she can be barred from saying "this is something that happened to me and this is who did it."

3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Wouldn't want to be the local prosecutor who brings her up on charges. Would be a very effective way of ensuring that you NEVER have a chance for higher office.

4. brandonsneed

brandonsneed Member

Good for her for naming them anyway. That girl is a hero.

Here's a link to a petition to drop the charges against her: http://chn.ge/Oi68vY

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Sounds like the prosecutor made the deal with the boys without talking to the girl. The prosecutor should have talked to her and gotten her opinion before offering a plea deal.

This case just smells of two boys getting away with a crime with an anonymous slap on the wrist and the girl being told to keep quiet or go to jail. And she's willing to go to jail. Good for her.

6. Because they are juveniles. Plain and simple.
    I sympathize with the girl. It sucks.

What will really be sad is if the boys and their parents sue her.

7. LongTimeListener

Those cowards won't, though, because then their names will be public.

Still don't think there's legal justification here. So if someone is under 18, you can never tell anyone they did something bad?

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Sue her for what? Slander?

Truth is a defense against that. The kids are copping to a plea bargain, meaning they are admitting to doing something to her. She is merely stating that.

If anything, she should be suing the kids and their parents.

9. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

Probably invasion of privacy, and they'd almost certainly win. Like it or not, the juvenile system operates under a seal and neither the criminals nor the victims are allowed to be named. Their names have not been publicly released, nor are they allowed to be publicly released in conjunction with this crime.

I feel for her here. And I think it shows great personal strength that she's willing to come out and say "Yeah, this happened to me" when it's implied by so many that crimes involving sexual assault are so terrible that the victims should never want their names associated with what happened.

But legally she hasn't got a leg to stand on as far as revealing the names of her attackers.

10. LongTimeListener

So, hypothetically, if this never got into the court system she could blast away without penalty?

11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

If they file civil suit, so does she. Care to guess whose jackpot is bigger at the end?

12. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I agree, good for her.

Draft saved Draft deleted