1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kurt Cobain sucked

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Double J, Jun 17, 2006.

1. Varla

Varla Member

The sad thing about Cobain was, he never wanted to be the "voice of a generation". All he wanted to do was be in a band, get the occasional props in MRR and make enough money to escape the monotony of a 9 to 5 existence in Aberdeen.

There was an honesty there that I think people latched on to. But like everything else once it became profitable they slapped a label on it and mass marketed it. Everyone and his brother was in a grunge band and record labels started cashing in. How else could a horrible band like 4 Non Blondes get a record deal?

I don't blame Cobain for that.

His interviews did however, bring attention to the likes of Daniel Johnston, the Melvins, TAD, Jesus Lizard, Mudhoney etc. I don't know if Cobain sucked as an "artist", but if King Buzzo made some extra money for a six-pack or if David Yow was able to pay for his much needed health care because some lemming decided to buy an album, then that's cool.

As I was typing this I was trying to decide who sucked more in the grand scheme of suck: 4 Non Blondes or Disturbed.  ???
    That's really a tough one.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Not sure where the tude comes from. Plenty of threads at SJ devolve into something different than their intended meaning. Few have their own off-shoots.

Mizzou, myself and a newbie disagree on Howard Stern on a satellite radio thread. They said their piece, I said mine and that's that. I don't see any of us starting a thread called "Stern sucks" or "Stern rules" and convincing those who agree with us to jump on that thread.

This just seemed like a way to tweak someone who is a big Nirvana fan (no need to identify that person). And believe me: I have experience in passively aggressively tweaking someone. If I'm wrong, I apologize.

As for "Here we are now, entertain us," I think it's ironic. I don't think it's about a sense of entitlement.

And Varla has it right about Cobain. Ever think that "Smells Like Teen Spirit" was SUPPOSED to be non-sensical? Not like he sat down and said "I'm going to write the chart-topping song of a generation." I feel confident that "Smells Like Teen Spirit" was written as a big "fuck you" to the mainstream, which instead embraced it.

3. Korgoth of Barbaria

Korgoth of Barbaria Active Member

Nirvana came out in the beginning stages of my guiar playing. I will forever be indebt to Cobain because of his mind-numbingly simple riffs.

4. PaseanaARG

PaseanaARG Guest

I hope he reciprocates by teaching you to be more shrewd and humorous in your jabs. As it stands, you don't seem very funny.

5. Flash

Flash Guest

This from somebody who called me homegirl. Good work, bra.

6. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Lyrics to Smells Like Teen Spirit
    Nirvana was relevant 15 years ago. They are relevant today and they will be relevant 15 years from now. The music wasn't about teenage angst. It was about a generation that struggled to find itself. There was peer pressure, as there is in every generation, to be popular and fit in. Nirvana reached those kids. Their music were streams of consciousness, akin to how some people speak in when they finally reach a breaking point.

7. Varla

Varla Member

That's weird, when I was listening to their music 15 years ago I never thought about streams of consciousness or peer pressure or breaking points. What I got out of their music was mainly getting drunk, occasionally smoking a joint and jumping around on the outskirts of a mosh pit.

Sometimes I think people take this shit too seriously. They were trying to be punk rock not trying to cure cancer.

(No offense Beaty)

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

Damn dude you oughta work for the Classic or something with insight like that.

Mariano Rivera is the greatest closer in the history of baseball! :D

(see, now, in the spirit of this thread, Junkie will start a thread called Mariano Rivera sucks because he knows it'll get a rise out of me)

9. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

but yet they sound great... as did the ramones

but go back to your yngwie malmsteen and how complex his guitar playing is

remember the kids in high school who loved yngwie malmsteen and rush and would tell you what great musicians they are -- you remember something about them -- and, well, i'm sure you do -- they had no friends.

rock 'n' roll is all about heart, feeling and soul -- not complexity

instead he became kurt cobain -- not too shabby

and, i always love when people say, 'you're middle class, you have no problems!' -- so condescending and stupid

and junkie, you were right until you got to cobain. he was a god to many folks before he capped himself. and "accidental" deaths were buddy holly, stevie ray vaughn and others -- not people who took so many drugs they effectively killed themselves, just like cobain

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Kurt Cobain's best song was probably Violet [/openingupanothercanofworms].

But I dug Nevermind (hated In Utero), and assorted songs by a few grunge/alternative artists in the first half of the 1990s. It wasn't statement stuff, just good music (not all of it being that, of course).

11. lono

lono Active Member

Love Cobain or hate him, clearly this topic was worth its own thread. ;D

Good stuff, boys and girls.

12. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

I will say that bringing light to the Seattle scene gave us Soundgarden and Alice in Chains in the mainstream and that's certainly not a bad thing. Nirvana's popularity spawned the Foo Fighters who in many ways seem like the anti-Nirvana with their ability to make good music that they seem to enjoy and their fans seem to enjoy without feeling depressed and whiny.

Draft saved Draft deleted