1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kurt Cobain sucked

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Double J, Jun 17, 2006.

1. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I'm always eyeing the door when either album is played at a social gathering. I believe I'd rather hear chamber music during a beery repast than Floyd or Cobain's weepy, self-indulgent, People Were Meanies to Me a Long Long Time Ago mopery. Something about Cobain doesn't exude the "We're just here kicking back and having a good time" vibe you're looking for at a party.

2. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

shit, it doesn't hold up 15 minutes ago... much less 15 years from now

3. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

Amen.

4. PaseanaARG

PaseanaARG Guest

Music is great because there aren't correct answers. Homegirl can get here and say "Cobain sucks," she should be paying Boom royalties for stealing his shtick, and people get all upset. Truth is, I liked Nirvana. I like them more now that I used to. I think Nevermind is one of the 5 best albums I've ever heard. Kicked my ass. I thought Cobain was ponderous. Still, I find him fascinating. He was the ultimate entertainment train wreck. Y'all knew it. He knew it. Nobody could stop it.

Distubed is pretty good, too.

WRONG THREAD, but ... I just thought of "Standing Outside a Broken Phonebooth with Money In My Hand."

5. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

no, passy, there are right and wrong answers... mine are right.

6. Double J

Double J Active Member

As the person who started this thread, allow me to say that I'm not 100 per cent sure who the biggest Nirvana fan on the board is and I don't give a shit who is, because this was not started to "rile up" anyone.

I started it because the person who started the song title thread told Flash (and, by extension, me, since I agreed with her) that if she wanted to post anything debating Kurt Cobain's merits or lack thereof, it should be done on a separate thread. Because God forbid that any threadjacking ever take place on SportsJournalists.com. ::)

So here we are. If it's a place you don't want to be, the door swings both ways. See ya.

7. Flash

Flash Guest

I have no idea who they're talking about either. But Boom doesn't like Kurt Cobain, then there's something else I like abotu Boom.

8. PaseanaARG

PaseanaARG Guest

Seriously. Royalties. You owe him, and the amount in question grows by the day...

9. Double J

Double J Active Member

You're right, I've never been there. What does that have to do with anything? I never said the guys in Nirvana were rich kids -- I said the rich kids at my school were the ones who most identified with the so-called "grunge movement." Go back and read it again.

And I hope you're not trying to say that coming from a shit town, which Aberdeen, WA, may very well be, gives you the inalienable right to be a whiny bitch and expect everyone else to feel sorry for you. There are lots of people who come from real swell places and are a lot worse off than Cobain ever was.

There was nothing stopping Cobain from becoming an artist like Robert Motherwell or Elton Bennett, a Nobel Prize-winning physicist like Douglas Osheroff, a pro football player like Mike Melinkovich or Mark Breuner, an author like Robert Cantwell or a software engineer like Peter Norton. Who are all these people, you ask? Good question -- they're all from Aberdeen, WA.

"Here we are now, entertain us."

If that's not saying "you owe us something," I don't know what is.

10. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I don't think he sucked, but it never spoke to me when I was 17, so fat fucking chance of liking it now.

11. Flash

Flash Guest

Is it OK if I pay him in infinite admiration?

12. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Yes, there was: Kurt Cobain. He did it to himself.

He was more interesting as a train wreck in waiting than he was as a songwriter.

And I just went back and looked over the lyrics to "Smells Like Teen Spirit" --- and after further review, I still think the only interesting thing about the song was the power-chord guitar riff (for the record, it's F5-Bb5-Ab5-Db5). The lyrics make no sense. None. Hell, you can sing part of "More Than A Feeling" to it and make more sense.

Draft saved Draft deleted