1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kurt Cobain sucked

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Double J, Jun 17, 2006.

1. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

You ever had suicidal thoughts? You ever been through that shit? I have. It takes a helluva lot more courage NOT to pull the trigger than it does to end it all. But let's not judge a man for being desperate enough to do it. It ain't easy to pull yourself back from the brink.

And to the rest of you, hey, some people don't like Nirvana. Whoop-de-damn do. Music is subjective. Let it be. And take your weeping for humanity to New Orleans, help somebody out for a change.

2. Mutah

Mutah Member

A quick aside, for the alternative is to call double j some sort of offputting name: has anyone seen the comedy central roast of pamela anderson? courtney love was a roaster. comic jeff ross posed the question "how is it that kurt cobain looks better than courtney love?" with her sitting mere feet away. she looked like she was going to kick his ass. the coldest damned thing i've ever heard.

3. Flash

Flash Guest

In case you missed it, the Kurt Cobain comment came up in another thread and I was told by the thread starter to start my own thread rather than hijack his (because I'm the only one who's ever hijacked a thread around here). I chose not to. Double J did. And evidently, it turned into what I think -- at times -- is an interesting discussion, barring the shots we've taken at our intelligence by the folks who sport their 'I Heart Kurt Cobain' T-shirts.
    Oh and don't feel bad for me because I don't 'get' Nirvana. My life has included a pretty well-rounded education of literary classics. And for that, I am grateful.

4. Flash

Flash Guest

I'm sorry, zeke. Could you please point out the post I wrote which asked you to like and/or appreciate Disturbed? I do. You don't. I don't particularly give a rat's ass.

Kurt Cobain sucked.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Down With the Sickness isn't a Pulitzer winner, to be sure. But it's a helluva song about the suffering of a child at the hands of an abusive parent.

Good song. IMFO.

6. Flash

Flash Guest

Speaking of not getting it ... let me type really sloooooooooowly this time for you. I don't give a fuck if you don't like Disturbed. Same as you shouldn't give a fuck if I don't like Nirvana. But for some reason, the fact that I don't and am capable of expressing said opinion seems to have gotten under the skin of a lot of people around here.
    Why?
    With all your bitching and moaning, you will NEVER convince me that Cobain was a genius and his music should have 'spoken' to me.
    Do you see me trying to convince you to go out and buy everything Disturbed ever produced? No. Why? Because I don't give a fuck whether you like it or not. I do.
    And if you don't like that, that's your problem.
    Not mine.

7. Double J

Double J Active Member

Really? Let's see about that. Here's what I wrote in the first post of the thread, sans emoticons. Feel free to go back and check to make sure I didn't change anything.

Exactly. At my high school, the people who took most quickly to grunge were the rich kids with two professional parents who had it all together and had the grades and money to get into any university in the province.

I grew up in a government housing project. Imagine my surprise when I learned from Kurt Cobain and friends, through my more well-to-do classmates, that the world not only owed us a living and a lifestyle, we were entitled to bitch and whine and cry when they weren't handed to us on silver platters.

Then, once we got the fame and fortune that we were due, that we screamed and fought so hard for, we could just throw it away and kill ourselves because that wasn't what we really wanted after all.

God bless us, everyone.

P.S. Many of you will denigrate the Poison-esque hair metal that grunge replaced but to me it will always be truer music because it was all about living for the moment rather than bleating about what the world supposedly owed us.

And here's what I clarified that I did not say, no matter how much you'd like to believe that I did:

Just for the record, I never said that Kurt Cobain:

1) came from a rich or upper middle class background
    2) spoke only to kids that came from that kind of background
    3) was responsible for the rich kids I went to school with

So, let's review. Did I say that Cobain was rich or upper middle class? No, I did not. I never mentioned his background.

Did I say that he spoke only to those kinds of kids? No, I did not, only that those kids were the ones "who took most quickly to grunge."

It's a big stretch to imply that I meant he spoke only to those kids, who I did not specify as "douchebags" and did not once suggest that I had "problems" with them besides not really caring for their choice of music or fashion.

The lesson learned here -- maybe, that is, I probably shouldn't give credit before I know whether or not it's deserved -- is that you should make sure you're seeing what you think you're seeing before you criticize.

8. Flash

Flash Guest

Actually, Double J, the subliminal message I'm getting from your post is quite hypnotic. I feel I must go listen to some Disturbed now.

9. Flash

Flash Guest

Maybe that's what it is. Nirvana didn't use enough fiddles.

10. PaseanaARG

PaseanaARG Guest

As much I hate defending Flash, she never said Disturbed was some great group. She was just saying she'd rather listen to that. So what?

11. Flash

Flash Guest

Sigh ... thank you. Somebody got it ...

12. Double J

Double J Active Member

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted