1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kurt Cobain sucked

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Double J, Jun 17, 2006.

1. Double J

Double J Active Member

At bogie's request, I've started a separate thread on Kurt Cobain and how hard he sucked. This so we don't sully the song title thread any further.

I'll start.

Exactly. At my high school, the people who took most quickly to grunge were the rich kids with two professional parents who had it all together and had the grades and money to get into any university in the province.

I grew up in a government housing project. Imagine my surprise when I learned from Kurt Cobain and friends, through my more well-to-do classmates, that the world not only owed us a living and a lifestyle, we were entitled to bitch and whine and cry when they weren't handed to us on silver platters.

Then, once we got the fame and fortune that we were due, that we screamed and fought so hard for ::), we could just throw it away and kill ourselves because that wasn't what we really wanted after all.

God bless us, everyone. :-X

P.S. Many of you will denigrate the Poison-esque hair metal that grunge replaced but to me it will always be truer music because it was all about living for the moment rather than bleating about what the world supposedly owed us.

2. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

Once Kurt Cobain blew himself to smithereens the poor rich suburban kids were forced to turn to Tupac and Snoop Dogg to soothe their souls.

Double J...a prophet. Fuck Nirvana.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Poison's touring this summer with Cinderella. That doesn't exactly make them relevant, but they're not exactly singing for donuts either.

Pretty Boy Floyd. Now THERE'S a hair metal band singing for donuts!!! :D

4. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Or Green Day and Bush. Whatever.

5. Flash

Flash Guest

I think I just fell in love with Double J ... Culture Club spoke to me.

6. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Regardless of whether or not you think Kurt sucked, his impact on the music industry cannot be ignored.

For better or worse, Nirvana led the grunge revolution that killed the overbloated beast that hair metal had become.

And JJ, I was hardly some spoiled upper-middle class kid. To say Kurt only spoke to the wealthy is to ignore kids like me and my classmates who grew up in the poorest county in America and still latched onto what Nirvana, Pearl Jam and the rest of the grunge bands had to say.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'll agree that Nirvana might not have had the legendary status that they do today had Cobain lived... They never had a chance to suck.

But thanks to Nirvana, bands like Pearl Jam and Soundgarden became popular. I had actually been listening to Soundgarden for a few years before Nevermind came out, but I never saw a video or heard them on the radio until Smells Like Teen Spirit became all the rage in 1991.

I saw Nirvana live three times and they were fucking amazing. I'm not going to say Cobain was the "spokesman for Generation X" or any bullshit like that, but it was an amazing band. The true test of music is how well it holds up and I think Nirvana's stuff holds up remarkably well after 15 years...

8. Double J, want to point out the Nirvana lyrics in which they claimed to be owed a living? I must have missed them. And I'm guessing you've likely never been to Aberdeen, WA, where Nirvana came from, because it hardly qualifies as the lap of luxury living.

9. Flash

Flash Guest

Do not own a single Pearl Jam or Soundgarden effort.

And most of the music I listen to pass their props onto their influences like Maiden, Priest, Zeppelin, KISS, Sabbath and Metallica ... not Nirvana and Kurt Cobain.
    Give me a healthy dose of Disturbed any day over that mindless crap.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

Oh yeah, cause WOCKA WOCKA WOCKA qualifies as the voice of the generation (or whatever the hell the guy from Disturbed screams at the beginning of "Down With The Sickness").

If you don't like Nirvana that's cool. But I'm not sure how you could see Nirvana Unplugged, featuring an obviously tortured Kurt Cobain just a few months before his suicide, and view their music as mindless crap.

And if you don't own a single Pearl Jam effort...wow. You're missing out on the best music of the era.

11. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I think a lot of X'ers might elevate Cobain and Nirvana because it was part of the soundtrack of their energy and vitality as young people.

Nobody wants a rich guy at a mike singing about his problems.

12. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

You contradicted yourself in this sentence.

Draft saved Draft deleted