1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kudos to the Bush Administration

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by alleyallen, Nov 12, 2006.

1. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

There IS no palatable outcome in Iraq.

The only positive to be gleaned at this point is to save American lives with removal.

And, this will always be an atrocity. There will be nothing to change it.

And voters knew there was no panacea. They just knew that the Dems would get the kids out of there quicker.

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

And before we praise the Idiot in Chief too much, well, maybe he's not so keen on what the Democrats want:

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=578&u=/nm/20061113/pl_nm/iraq_usa_dc_9

3. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

I hate when words that imply a modicum of circumspection are applied to this dolt ... skeptical.

4. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

Good post Ralph....disregard what Fenian, JR and Old_tony and (any other extreme right wing poster, I'm too tired to care) and for the most part you'll find people that will actually consider a differing opinion.

I voted for Bush, I do not think he is an evil person, I do think he cares about this country and tried to do what he thought was best for it. I now think he was wrong in his attempts to better this country, he is not a good President, but I think he's a decent person.

It is so easy to sit back and criticize, we're all guilty. But if you have all the answers (as some here do) run a campaign, get elected. Quit sitting on your ass complaining about the people in office, tell the voters how you would govern, get elected and sit in that office.

Enough of my rhetoric, we elect people to govern and make these choices, I only hope the people we elect in the future, Dems or Repubs make the right choices.

5. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Can a brotha get a amen?

6. Does anyone here know what "the result we want in Iraq is" and, if we don't, how in hell do we decide whether it's legitimately possible to achieve the goal we're not sure we have?
    That is not an extreme position. Those are the facts on the ground. We can do nothing affirmative about Iraq right now except leave. Anything else -- partition, a new dictator, copping the oil and leaving a force outside the country -- gets us a result we don't want, and more pissed off Iraqis. The civil war goes on no matter what we do, and we don't have the force levels to enforce whatever plan Baker and the boys come up with. Ask yourselves if some sort of cobbled-together peace plan depending on the good will of Syria and Iran is worth the blood and treasure, and whether or not it will even hold, let alone get us an outcome with which we can remotely be happy.

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

What do you expect from an administration that has failed to successfully see two moves ahead,
    for five years?

8. MCbamr

MCbamr Member

The result we want in Iraq is a democratic country that doesn't become a safe haven for terrorists the way Afghanistan was. It would encourage the idea of freedom in the area, particularly the population of Iran which is not pleased with its own government and could gradually become less of an enemy if it moved toward westernization and even democracy.

Perhaps the way to do it is to pull Americans back to the bases we have and let Arab forces from other countries (Egypt, Jordan) serve as peacekeepers in the public view. They might be less of a target for Muslim terrorists, but then who knows for sure. Eventually, hopefully the Iraqi military can stand on its own.

As for American troops being no more than a speed bump to Iran and South Korea, the idea is to make sure they know any attack is also an attack on Americans and will be responded to with full force. Also, 37K American troops are far better equipped than North Koreans. They could hold their own, except of course against nukes.

Draft saved Draft deleted