1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kudos to JENNA FRYER at NHIS

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by RedSmithClone, Sep 17, 2007.

1. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Yeah, Ray's main problem was drifting into the wall.

Ray was a joyrider who had enough money to get with a competitive team for a brief period of time.

2. Mira

Mira Member

Come on. Billy Boat was a joyrider. The name alone conjures up images of joyrider.

3. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

Jenna's a class act, a great girl, a very good writer.

Got to know her in her Alabama days.

I absolutely have no use for NASCAR, but she knows her stuff on the track.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Pull up a chair kiddies.
    When I was young and covered NASCAR, there were no team PR reps. Them were the days. I had home phone numbers for every major driver. You called, they answered.

First NASCAR flak I worked with was a royal prick and about useless. He's now in jail for troubles that have been discussed here.

I haven't had an issue with a NASCAR flak in ages. Most have been very helpful. One helped me out BIG BIG BIG recently. Team PR reps? I can count good ones on one hand.

I've also found in my limited recent dealings that most manufacturer's reps are good. You can sometimes use them to end run the team jackasses.

Who is Warren Wallace's rep? He is my favorite driver. "When it comes to Mike Wallace, the story ends with me putting him in the wall."

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

So how were Tim Flock and Fireball Roberts to cover?

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Excellent.

7. lono

lono Active Member

The correct answer would be, a damn sight better than Jimmie Johnson or Kyle Busch.

8. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

"King Hiro's" rep? :)

9. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

Yes, back in the day (been there too -- Slappy can tell ya), you could count the number of NASCAR-employed PR hacks for the major series on one hand (with fingers left over) ... now, there's dozens to wade through (check out the list on nascarmedia.com)

10. NCScrub

NCScrub Member

NASCAR may be all about granting access, but didn't ESPN have to do airport interviews in an airfield a few years back because it wasn't the rights holder for the races and wasn't allowed inside the track.

11. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

That wasn't it, but the story of how "King Hiro" got his nickname might be my favorite story ever as a writer.

12. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

I'm tellin' ya - the day Economaki starts posting on this site, is the day I pull a Flash.
    I stand by it.

---------------
    And my experience with NASCAR and manufacturer PR flacks, albeit limited, hasn't always been pleasant (echoing lono and Bubbler's sentiments here).

Draft saved Draft deleted