1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kudos To All Stay-at-Home Moms

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pete Incaviglia, Mar 20, 2008.

1. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

As many of you know, there's a new baby Incaviglia in the family — our first, actually.

Today, my wife spent the day with old friends (shopping, lunch, coffee, etc.) while I watched our little girl (three weeks, four days old). It was my wife's first real break since giving birth.

From messy diapers (two No. 2s and an unreal number of No. 1s), to making formula, to feeding, to rocking, to napping, to doing dishes, to making dinner, to fielding phone calls with a baby in one arm. I did it all today, my day off.

I cannot tell you how much more respect I have for my wife (who is currently on maternity leave) and my mom and any other woman who spends all day, every day raising a child or children.

Gentlemen, go home and hug your wife. Say thanks.

2. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

Please tell me Baby Incaviglia isn't wearing a burlap sack for a diaper right now?

:)

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

No, but Pete is.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Is Baby Incaviglia allergic to leather also?

(stolen from the story on Lenny Dykstra in the current New Yorker)

5. Italian_Stallion

Italian_Stallion Active Member

I mention this all the time, but I'll do it again.

I'm a stay-at-home dad. I write about four stories from home every week and also take care of a 2-year-old and a 4-year-old. I've had this job for more than two years. Some days, I wouldn't trade it for the world. Other days, I almost run out of the house screaming as soon as my wife walks in the door.

I have all the respect in the world for anyone who does this job. It's damn hard. There is a list of shit a mile long waiting for me every morning. I have to make sure the kids brush their teeth, eat breakfast, get dressed. About twice an hour, I walk my girl into the bathroom for her potty break.

There's a daily crisis. Sometimes there are five. Today, it was my girl deciding to pee on the kitchen floor, both of them sneaking into the bedroom and leaving PB&J parts all over the place, running outside with the trash before the trash man stopped by and, later, chasing after the trash cans when they blew down the street. Tonight, my girl came to me with her toothbrush and a canister of Ovaltine. The toothbrush bristles were brown. She says, "mmmm." He sleep-time training pants have disappeared. I have no idea where they went.

I should be asleep. I'll have to do it all over again in seven hours. But I've come to enjoy these few minutes of peace late at night.

Indeed, it's an incredible task.

6. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Stallion, I should have included Stay-at-Home Dads in the thread title, too.

I was (and still am) exhausted.

7. Italian_Stallion

Italian_Stallion Active Member

No harm done. It's unique. But, hey, I can play backyard whiffle ball at noon any day of the week. Beat that.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Pete, I know a million people will tell you this, but enjoy this time now, they DO grow up.

I worked FT for my paper at night, and took care of my little ones during the day while the Mrs. worked. Believe me, I don't even know how I got through some of the days with four hours sleep. But I look back on those times now with a lot of fondness.

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I feel some of your pain...

Ours is six weeks old today. I took two weeks off and my wife is taking 10, so she has been bearing the load for the last few weeks.

The first day of day care is tomorrow. My wife will go back to working full time (32 hours a week) in a couple more weeks.

We have a twin bed in the nursery, and I pull the over night duty on Friday and Saturday nights. Usually it's only 1-2 feedings in the night, so it is not the end of the world. She also will come in around 6 am so I can crash for a few more hours. She loves the nights of uninterrupted sleep.

I cannot believe no one has mentioned spit up yet. On my shirt, down my back. Last night it was clear down to my waistline. Thank God we can easily wipe our couch off.

Oh, I'm sure all the other dads will agree, our kid is the single greatest thing we have had a hand in ever.

10. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

You know I told Mrs. Slydell that we should just get a garbage bag and tape it arounf baby Slydell's waist for all of his poop and pee. She didn't think that was as good an idea as I did.

Our son had a minor surgery in November and I stayed home from work for the week with him. I vowed then I would never be a stay at home dad.

He's sick with the virus of the week right now (hand, foot and mouth virus, whatever the hell that is) thanks to daycare, and I am exhausted and I still have to work today.

I can deal with all the poopy diapers you can throw at me, but a screaming baby does does me in. I'd rather change a poop diaper an hour all day than have 30 minutes of screaming baby.

And Stallion, you are a better man than me.

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Bob, I agree. I do not like the crying.

Our girl cries some, but not too bad. It's when I or my wife do something stupid (changing her and twisting her around a little bit too much or getting the buckle in her grill too much on the car seat) that causes her pain that drives me crazy.

I am just thanking God our little girl is healthy and not colicy.

Any of you guys invest in the swaddling blankets? Target has ones specific for swaddling. Our girl looks like a bug in a rug when I get her cinched up, but she loves it.

The noise machines (oceans, rain, etc...) are also pretty nice.

12. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

I would love, love, love to be a stay at home dad.

Of course with my daughter away at college it would be a lot easier ;D.

Draft saved Draft deleted