1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kragthorpe to Louisville/Brohm staying

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Freelance Hack, Jan 8, 2007.

1. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Early speculation is that Tulsa coach Steve Kragthorpe is the No. 1 candidate for Louisville. He was an assistant coach at Northern Arizona the same time UofL AD Tom Jurich was the AD there, and reportedly the two have remained close.

While he's done a good job of turning Tulsa around, I'm not sure he's the best fit here. One thing is for sure though. The successor will be named by the end of this week if not sooner. Jurich doesn't dawdle.

EDIT: SportsLine's Dodd is saying that Kragthorpe is expected to be the next coach.

http://www.sportsline.com/collegefootball/story/9915692

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Re: Kragthorpe to Louisville?

I think Kragthorpe will do fine there. Hopefully he would do a right and bring an acquaintance of mine along as OC.

3. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

Shouldn't we expect Kurt Kragthorpe of the Salt Lake Tribune to break this story? Since he's Steve's brother and all ...

4. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

There was a plane from Louisville that landed in Tulsa, flying out of Standiford Field in Louisville. Expect Kragthorpe to be on the plane.

5. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

Is that true?

6. linotype

7. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

8. Freelance Hack

9. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Re: Kragthorpe to Louisville

AP has moved the story now.

Incredibly quick. That took fewer than 48 hours. I've got to think they had talked to him beforehand about his interest should the job open.

It is arguably the easiest to get into the BCS from Louisville. You're in the Big East and, once you get to the Orange Bowl, you face the ACC champion.

10. linotype

Your general premise is correct, but the Big East isn't tied to the Orange Bowl. For lack of a better phrase, the Big East is a BCS free-agent. (ACC-Orange, SEC-Sugar, Big 12-Fiesta, Pac-10 and Big Ten-Rose).

11. Freelance Hack

It's been said that Jurich always has a list of candidates for his coaching positions. So even when he signed Petrino to a 10-year deal, he still had a list of prospects. As I said up top, the man doesn't dawdle. He knows who he wants and he goes out and gets them.

12. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

Draft saved Draft deleted