1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kornheiser Takes Buyout

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by jgmacg, May 14, 2008.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

That kind of bothers me too. Not saying he didn't deserve it, didn't earn it during his best years, etc., but wouldn't you like to see a guy who claims such a love for newspapers and is making a mint from his TV work say "thanks, i'll sign your buyout papers but why don't you go spread the money among the agate guys or buy new laptops or something."

I know, that's dreamland stuff, but still...

2. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Well, according to a link on Romenesko, David Broder's taking the buyout. too. And at the same time becoming a contract writer for the Post. So he not only gets the buyout, he gets to keep his office at the Post and write his column. If the Post doesn't have a problem with this kind of thing, I don't see why we should.

3. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Don't feel I was disrespectful, Guy. Gave him his props for when he really worked at this stuff. But when somebody is out front telling us how little he works at something and how little he follows sports and how little he flies anywhere and how little he actually talks to athletes, etc., don't blame us if we start to believe him.

4. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I've said parts of Tony's schtick irritate the hell out of me. They always have and probably always will. Some of the things Michael Wilbon does bug the daylights out of me, but after meeting him in person, I can separate the persona from the person.

You don't have to like his schlocky stuff, but at his best, Tony was always a compelling writer. I can still quote parts of his more serious work verbatim. I can still recall his Dan Jansen column and relive the joy I felt when Jansen finally got a gold medal in his final Olympic event. In fact, it's a little dusty just writing that.

I remember his touching tribute to Arthur Ashe, who was every bit as dignified as some of us in this business are bombastic. I can feel the grief he must have felt for Ashe as I remember how he led us through the journey into appreciating the man's life and also his career as a tennis player.

Tony may not be my favorite columnist of all time. He may not be the funniest. But let's balance our feelings about his quadruple-dipping with a body of work that includes some damn good writing. It's a shame that writing will no longer grace The Washington Post's pages.

5. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Superb post.
    Well said.

6. playthrough

No disrespect Frank, but the reasoning "if xxx doesn't have a problem with xxx, I don't see why we should" would shrink this site by about 92 percent.

Just saying it would have been a unique gesture for a guy making a fortune in TV (and one who probably hasn't needed his newspaper checks for some time) to either decline his buyout check or maybe cash it, walk into the middle of the newsroom and make it rain like Pacman.

7. Can someone tell me a little bit about what kind of columnist/writer Kornheiser was when he was on top of his game?

Like I said, all I know is the guy who brags about being uninformed and not paying attention to sports. I'm too young to recall the other incarnation of Kornheiser.

I'm not trying to dog him. I seriously am curious.

8. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Decline his buyout check? Last week people here were bitching about the Boston Globe denying a buyout to someone who already had another job lined up. So there's no winning.

I don't think it's Kornheiser's responsibility to take care of Post employees -- it's the Post's responsibility. The company makes a hell of a lot more money than Kornheiser does.

9. playthrough

True enough.

10. captzulu

captzulu Member

I have absolutely no problem with somebody quadruple-dipping. I mean, you do good work for a couple decades and when you've reached a point where you can reap the financial rewards for your good work, you're supposed to turn it down? For what? Some noble sense of obligation to an industry that doesn't value its employees? I don't have any problem with guys making a big name for themselves in newspapers, then shifting primarily into other lines of media, and finally punting newspapers to the curb altogether. The only issue I would have is when the writer's new careers demand his time to the point where he can no longer do his newspaper job adequately; but even then, the fault lies more with the newspaper for putting up with it than with the writer for getting away with it. As much as newspapers screw over their employees, I'm not exactly sorry to see a few newspaper employees get to screw newspapers back.

11. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I'll let him do the honors for you.

Here.

Here.

Here.

12. OK, that's tremendous stuff.

Why does he like to act like a dumbass buffoon who doesn't care about anything?

Draft saved Draft deleted