1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kornheiser suspended from PTI

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by TheSportsPredictor, Feb 23, 2010.

1. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

So, so very wrong Zag. Access is mandated by the federal government -- it's always equal. Meaning, all credentialed journalists must be treated the same regardless of gender. (This is not a new concept, and yet it's extraordinary how many men in this business do not understand it).
    It doesn't mean all leagues must have the same rules -- they can allow us in locker rooms, keep us out, allow us after 10 minutes, tell us to wait until the players are showered, bring the players into interview rooms, whatever. The leagues -- NBA, WNBA, NASCAR, golf, college sports, on and on -- can set their own interview policies. The point is, they can't discriminate because of a journalist's gender. The policy for one journalist means it's the same for all journalists.
    I really don't care what the leagues decide, as long as all journalists are treated equal. That's what the law says also.
    And the WNBA is hardly the only women's sports league. If more men covered women's sports, they'd understand the idea of equal access, and how it works and why it's important.

2. Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts Active Member

Form Whitlock's column, where's the photo from this?

"This past Sunday, Storm took things a step further, going Johnny Gill on The Sports Reporters -- slipping on a tiny red dress, high heels, bare legs that dangled out of TV sets across America and making men and women say “My, my, my.” "

...and this shows what type of man Whitlock is. This line should never have made it to print.

"I watched the whole show hoping for a Sharon Stone-"Basic Instinct" moment."

3. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

Of course ESPN acted quickly...they have always been a bastion for women's rights...lol

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

It shows that he is a healthy heterosexual male.

5. Knighthawk

Knighthawk Member

Actually, a lot of WNBA teams bring players out into the hallway to talk instead of opening the locker room at all, but I covered the league during its entire run in Detroit, and never had a problem getting as much time as I needed with a player after a game. The visiting locker room at the Palace is so small that I'd love if NBA teams would bring players into the hallway.

Draft saved Draft deleted