1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kornheiser - just so stoopid

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Sep 30, 2010.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Indians...
    Phillies...
    Mariners...
    Rangers...

Great players don't bounce around this much.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That is my question, too. Sure, he has bounced around, but at least some of those moves have had other explanations for them. The Indians were dumping salary. The Phillies were doing the same so they could bring in Halladay and stay under budget. The Mariners were out of it and he was going to be a free agent, so that made baseball sense.

Does anybody actually know of anything Lee has done to make him a cancer?

3. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

This thread is cracking me up.

I'm not a huge stat geek. I don't know how WAR is calculated, or what a good WAR even is.

But I'm not dumb enough to think that pitching wins should matter in Cy Young. I mean, how much evidence do these old-school dopes need?

I get it--a 13-12 pitcher winning the Cy Young is uncomfortable to you. But it's OK. I promise. You know how I know this? Because Felix Hernandez was the best pitcher in baseball this year, and he earned it. See?

It's like trying to convince people in 1998 that you can't get AIDS from hugging somebody. Some people just refuse to hear it.

4. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

What's relieving to the purists (and what will keep the rest of us sane) is that wins often correlate with the other stats that are actually decent. So 95 percent of the time, a pitcher who leads the league in ERA, K's, WHIP, etc. will probably have a good win-loss record to prevent the old-school dopes from dropping dead of a heart attack.

But last year was somewhat of an aberration with Zack Greinke going 16-8 (and he probably had an even better year than Felix is having this year). This year is a total fluke with Felix.

To those who think wins matter, ask yourself this: If "winners win", you tell me how on earth Felix Hernandez was supposed to beat the Blue Jays last week when Seattle scored zero runs.

Steve Carlton won 27 games on a last place team in the 70s. In every one of those 27 wins, the Phillies scored at least one run. Felix can't even get that.

5. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

If Felix were a winner he'd have pitched so well that Toronto batters would have literally not just been neutralized, but also gone into negative territory, so that the final score would have been Seattle 0 Toronto -1

6. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Oh. Well, I stand corrected.

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

That was Michael Kay's un-satirical point last week.

8. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

If you want to know why Felix Hernandez has a .500ish record, please direct your inquiries to Jack Zduriencik.

The Mariners are on pace to have the lowest team run total in nearly 40 years. It will likely be the worst offense in American League history since the introduction of the designated hitter. Seattle is averaging 3.18 runs per game. Please tell me what Felix is supposed to do about that.

9. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Bob Gibson had a 1.12 ERA in 1968. That means it's been done before. Felix can STFU.

;)

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Believe it, considering the source.

Draft saved Draft deleted