1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kornheiser Back On Radio

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Flying Headbutt, Jan 23, 2007.

1. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

He's joined on with the Washington Post's struggling station, starting next month. Not sure if they're broadcasting online, but I would have to think so. He'll be on from 8:30 til 10:30 in the morning, followed by a replay. One of the frequencies is 1500 AM, which is a blowtorch on the east coast at night, reaching from the Carolinas to New England. It's daytime signal is fairly strong too. It's a big, big blow to one of the DC sports talk stations that thought he was going back to them. Ben Bradlee essentially begged Mr. Tony for his services, so we hear.

More info can be found at www.dcrtv.com

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

great news. 1500 is a good signal. the other station WTEM 980 IS WEAKER and sucks. It's the John Thompson station, and it blows retarded monkey cock.
    I wonder if he'll start writing after is MNF fiasco?

3. WSKY

WSKY Member

good, but too bad he's not going to be syndicated.

4. The hopelessly romantic poet that is the 'Yab strikes again.
    Wow.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

If he's on WTWP, won't you be able to listen to it here...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/wtwpradio/listen.html

6. fanboy

fanboy Member

7. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Anyone know if XM will be picking it up again? I sure as hell hope so..

8. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

More details from www.dcrtv.com

A "significant amount of cash" is involved. We're told that Kornheiser "was leaning heavily" toward going back to Clear Channel's SportsTalk 980, WTEM - until Monday night. That's when he received a phone call at home from Washington Post Company VP Ben Bradlee, who, we're told, "personally begged him" to sign with his newspaper's station, which is desperate for ratings after almost a year on the air. The people at WTEM are "flabbergasted" because they thought they had a solid deal with Kornheiser, a source tells us...the powers-that-be at the newspaper have promised Kornheiser any guest he wants. "If he wants Tim Russert, he'll get Tim Russert," we're told. More in the newsblurb below.....

9. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

10. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

That is, uh, quite vivid imagery.

I think I'm going to have nightmares.

11. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

If anything, Yab understates the debacle that is the John Thompson Show. Columnists phone it in sometimes, and you say that as a figure of speech. When you say Thompson phoned it in, you mean he actually got on a payphone or something somewhere and did his whole show over the phone!!!

12. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Thompson's show isn't tremendous, but I've heard far worse trainwrecks on radio.

And this show is the total antithesis of what WPR is supposed to be about. I thought they were trying to go NPR Lite? Then again, from what I've heard of WPR, it makes "All Things Considered" sound like Casey Kasem's Countdown.

Draft saved Draft deleted